Sign in to follow this  
quikstu

Tempremental horn

90% of the time my horn doesn't work when depressed.

(I know it's a safety thing & an MOT failure).

All appears to be in order when I check it out.

Anyone got any idea's?

My horn only works when I turn the wheel to the right, tried cleaning the contacts but that made no difference, think it could be the pad on the steering wheel, anyone got any other ideas??

its the contacts between the steering wheel and the switch panel stalk thingy.

take the wheel off, you'll see.

on my mk2 golf the contacts got all shabby and the horn kept beeping when was i was turning. then one day. in traffic, it just stuck on. ok it only took me 10 seconds to decide to pull the centre off the steering wheel, and yank the wires off, but i felt like a tit.

The pad stays in the same position relative to the contacts inside the wheel irrespective of its rotation. Surely if it malfunctions only in certain wheel positions, it must be the sliding contacts. What happens if you turn the wheel 270 deg to the left (ie to a position equivalent to 90 deg to the right) - does it operate then?. Is the contact ring on the steering column clean and undamaged?

Best wishes

RB

cheers, ill take another look on friday, i thought it was the contacts, but when i took the wheel off the contacts looked ok, so what do you do if u have worn contacts? Anybody got any idea where you can pick new ones up from?

thanks

A further thought - the fixed contact ring is mounted on the control stalk assembly which is held in place on the column by two (I think) machine screws. If these are at all loose, the stalk assembly and contact ring may wobble around and lose spring contact with the sterring wheel. Pull off the wheel and check that the screws are done up properly.

Best wishes

RB

What happens if you turn the wheel 270 deg to the left (ie to a position equivalent to 90 deg to the right) - does it operate then?. Is the contact ring on the steering column clean and undamaged?

First answer is YES.

Second answer is also YES.

Confused even more now.

Thought maybe a broken/loose wire but puzzled beyond belief now!

Stu

I had this problem on my C, horn only worked when i turned the wheel to the right. I took the steering wheel off and bent the metal contact outwards (towards the steering wheel) a bit more. its fine now.