Sign in to follow this  
whiteee

Locks... barrels? more inf needed?

Can someone please tell me what i would need and how to change all the locks on my car as i currently have more than one key...

Wud i just need the barrels from both doors, igniton and boot?

finally - rough market price? new available?

it might be possible to use your existing barrels and just change the plates over, thats what i did, you just dissasemble each barrel and remove all the plates then fit each plate with the key in the barrel so that the plate sits flush, sounds confusing but once you have the barrels apart it should become clear

cheers mite have a look at the boot one... if i mess it up it will still open with central locking as i dont hav key at moment!

De Lock the Door and thats two barrels less to worry about. then you only have the glove box, boot on ignition to worry about thats 40% less of a problem!! or could solve it all if the door keys are the different ones

De Lock the Door and thats two barrels less to worry about. then you only have the glove box, boot on ignition to worry about thats 40% less of a problem!! or could solve it all if the door keys are the different ones

(Not a good idea if you can't unlock the boot with a key - cos if the battery dies you're screwed ... )

(Not a good idea if you can't unlock the boot with a key - cos if the battery dies you're screwed ... )

where did it say the boot lock was not working :lol:

where did it say the boot lock was not working :lol:

it didnt but i cannot get into boot with either key, i can however use ignition and glovebox and passenger door all with same key and one key for drivers door... even tho i hav stripped of door cards and they appear to be original doors mayb someone just replaced the locks?

nope, the lock set for a Corrado is different Supercharged,

You can buy the lock barrels for the doors and glovebox seperately, but the boot lock and ignition lock need to be changed as complete items... If you buy ONE first (I suggest ignition) and get the key number off the brand new keys which come with it, you can then order the boot lock and door/glovebox barrels to match that key... ;)

I think the barrels are about £12 each, the boot lock is about £25 and the steering lock is about £45... I did this on J-DUB...

cheers henny - if my passenger door and ignition are fine and i just want new boot and drivers door can i order them to match my key? trouble is my ignition key isnt original vw - only the drivers door one!

it might be possible to use your existing barrels and just change the plates over, thats what i did, you just dissasemble each barrel and remove all the plates then fit each plate with the key in the barrel so that the plate sits flush, sounds confusing but once you have the barrels apart it should become clear

has anyone else done this with the barrels? can all barrels be changed? what is meant by "just change the plates over" ???

as you put the key into the barrel, it moves a series of "plates" (also known as tumblers) out of the way. If it's the correct key for the way the barrel has been set up, once the key is all the way into the barrel, all of the plates will be sat so that they are flush with the outside of the barrel so you can turn the key...

On some of the VW locks (if not all, but I'm not sure about this bit) you can remove the barrel from the lock and then the plates simply pull out meaning that you can put in different ones to match the lock to the key... I know for a fact that this is EASY to do on the glovebox and door handles, (I've done it! ;) ) but I've not done the ignition or boot locks yet... 8)

Whitee, go to the dealer and ask for a few of each of the 4 tumblers (1 to 4) and then you can do as suggested above. They're usually free if you know the dealer.

Door locks are easy as Henny said but the ignition one is more involved as it's buried inside the metal housing. You need to remove the alloy arm at the end of the barrel by drifting out a small split pin, then the barrel can be extracted.

You'll need the key in the barrel when removing from the door handle/ignition housing and pull the key out slowly when out so that the springs and tumblers don't drop out on the floor.... reassemble with grease.

i think i am with you now... it was the bit where you need new plates/tumblers that i didnt comprehend!

As for dealers... a guy who was born on same day as me and spent every school day with, lil bro works in parts - good for a small discount and mite b able to help... worth a try... im talking s h i t e now... tired n its only midnight... nite and thanks again!