Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

VR sump grounding out

Does anyone have problems with the VR sump grounding out after lowering the car (gmax 30-40mm drop on standard speedlines)? Can't get my head round why as the sump looks almost in line with the centre of the wheels, and they'd have to move up a long way to drop the car low enough to do that.

Had the sump welded once before where the drain plug bulge is. Its now worn through the patch and flattened the exposed part of the bolt, along with scratches all across the bottom of the sump.

A little concerned its going to dump the oil and feck the engine soon. Any alternative sumps / solutions? (other than raising the car). Ta

how low are you running?!? That's gotta be seriously low, have VERY soft springs, or you have seriously nasty speedbumps where you live... :|

My completely standard late VR has never hit a ramp, even the stupidly tall ones... You have to take note when the ramp is pock-marked with gouges all along the top surface of the ramps...

Apparently Golf 4 V5s were notorious for losing sumps, due to the standard lower suspension and a low mounted engine.

Same here, mine's lowered about 45mm and neither the sump nor the front spoiler catch on anything.

Something very amiss there unless as Matt/Henny said you have some particularly evil humps.

Just been and measured the clearances:

Front spoiler to road: 90mm

Rear spoiler to road: 260mm

Front wheel arch to centre of wheel: 320mm

Rear wheel arch to centre of wheel: 330mm

Doesn't look that low to me, maybe the springs are too soft as you say. The back end has always been drifting easier than I think it should, thought that was partly down to the bushes. Maybe its the front being soft and lifting the opposite corner.

Yeah very similar measurements to mine.....as you can see in the signature, the car is low but not low enough ground out on anything.

Interesting, I've never had any issues with the back stepping out. It's always been solidly planted. Perhaps you need a nice Neuspeed anti-roll bar at the back there :lol:

The axle's coming off at the garage on monday to have the bushes done (couldn't get the brake compensator bolts out and didn't want to round anything off) so would be a good time for the roll bar but money doesn't allow. Wouldn't help the sump though.

How can I judge the springs compression rate, can't see it being anything else now? It was a new complete Gmax kit, couldn't afford much else at the time. Wonder if they supplied the mk2 8v golf kit or something silly which would probably be far too soft for this tubby mother of an engine. If so would different springs suffice or is it a complete kit again? Getting abit tired of having the car in bits now mind you, and an angry bank manager. :(