Sign in to follow this  
goodridge

Anyone know much about Vauxhalls???

Got a mates Calibra turbo in the garage at the moment :shock: When running the tappets are extremely loud as if they are getting no oil. A few people have told me the oil strainer in the sump is prown to blocking? Anyone know if this iIs this true? I attempted to drop the sump last nite, however, there is one bolt at the back I cannot get to as the transfer box is in the way, anyone had any experience of this? When I drained the oil, it was like black treacle, really thick, claggy, and dirty, I'm wondering if this is the problem and a good flush may cure?! The inside of the sump (removed the oil level sender) is absolutely hanging.

yeh mate. tell him 2 sell it for spares say about £100 ??? and go out and buy a proper car. sorry but you did ask :D

Hydraulic tappets dont like crappy oil, although if you've got oil strainer probs then bearings and bores are likely to go before the top end. You may have a blocked oil gallery in the head. Have you taken the cam cover off and turned the engine over on the starter to see if its getting oil - bear in mind it may go everywhere. Old turbo'd cars need very regular oil changes as passing a lot of oil through the turbo bearing knackers it pretty quickly. A flush may help, but if the strainer is blocked the oil pressure would be low. Might be worth checkign the oil pressure with a guage to see if that is the case. If it is blocked then the engine will most likely need to come out and be overhauled - I dont think you can do that much in situ on the 4wd versions but I may be wrong.

Calibra turbos come with an oil pressure gauge so how is it reading?

I would give it a good few flushes, even think obout putting the sump plug back in, and pour something like parafin into the sump to seee if it will soften it, do not run the engine with parafin in the sump.

Plus you dont want to be dropping the transfare box, did the cluch on one a couple off weeks ago, 12 hour job, subframe off and everything!

Hey slot, are they Audi A8 alloys on you'r C? and what size? because they look brilliant. Have always steered well clear of Vauxhalls! I was going thru the Dartford tunnel a while ago and one over took me and OMG the noise of the bloody thing was deafening, it was properly tuned and would of made mince meat of my VR!

Been messin round with this pissing Vauxhall all day. Washed the sump, and oil galleries in the head with petrol. Cleaned the Oil pump (without removal) put the belt back on and ran it up :shock: Left the cam cover off to see what was going on and there is no oil reaching the inlet valve tappets :shock: So it looks like there must be a blocked oil way in the head :roll:

That'll be new engine or strip and re-build then, most likely with new top end bits, and possibly bottom too. I saw a couple of cally turbo's in a scrappy round here if you need a new engine.

Well I'm gonna try and unblock the oil galleries later on with an air line and some welding wire, not sure if it will work though :roll: Then like you say, if that doesnt work, it's going to be head and rebuild time :shock: That'll cost him!

Dr Mat: Can luckily say not a mate really,or he would have a VW! :lol:more of a mates mate. I'm guessing the car has just been beaten. The transfer box is pissing oil out too, and they aint cheap either :roll: Oh well! It's not mine! :D

Well I'm gonna try and unblock the oil galleries later on with an air line and some welding wire, not sure if it will work though :roll: Then like you say, if that doesnt work, it's going to be head and rebuild time :shock: That'll cost him!

Dr Mat: Can luckily say not a mate really,or he would have a VW! :lol:more of a mates mate. I'm guessing the car has just been beaten. The transfer box is p***ing oil out too, and they aint cheap either :roll: Oh well! It's not mine! :D

You dont want to be poking wire down the oil galleries mate - its an alum head!!! :shock:

I used to be a vauxhall nut myself so know a few things about them...

If the transfer box is leaking then I'd suggest getting rid of it - looking at a couple of grand to have that sorted....

i can see an ebay auction coming on, you should sell that crap on there, some kid will buy it, he can put the motor in his nova,,,,.

althou i here vauxhalls burn very well...

i can see an ebay auction coming on, you should sell that crap on there, some kid will buy it, he can put the motor in his nova,,,,.

althou i here vauxhalls burn very well...

I tell ya, thats what'll end up happening. I've been messing around with it again tonight but to no avail. The head is gonna have to come off and be stripped and the block checked at least, not my idea of a happy christmas so he'll be having it back! The tappets just wont shut up, definitely an oil supply problem there somewhere.