Sign in to follow this  
SteveM16v

exhaust

I've now had to have the exhaust (centre section) re-sealed (both joints) twice and now its cracked on the weld. The good news is its still under warranty but what I was wondering, are these issues down to crap parts/fitting (kwik fit,) or could it be down to the engine mounts being knackered and the engine bouncing around to much?

How do I go about checking the mounts and where are they?

Many thanks

The engine mounts are:

One at the front where the engine and the box join and it bolts to the front cross memeber, big rubber thing really easy to find,

Two one at the back of the box, there is a support that runs from the box to it, you may need to whip the expansion tank out of the way to see it

Third is hard to see on a valver because the inlet 'fold/throttle body is in the way but it underneath there

They basicly make up a triangle shape, best way to test is to get some one in the car to rev it and just watch how much the lump moves, it should move a bit(its gotta have flex) but you can use your judgement as to wether its too much or not. If they havent been replaced, it could be worth while getting it done, not too expensive and pretty easy to do

SteveM16v, I assume your engine is a 16v but is it a 1.8 or 2.0?

Anyway, have had this happen 0on my 2.0, the first time I took it back to the fitting center and they re-welded it which lasted all of a day! I then took it back and got a replacement which ahs been fine. I don't think my engine mounts caused the problems as I've just put a new engine in and the old ones were perfectly fine...

HTH