Sign in to follow this  
Ollienorth

17" RS6 Alloy wheels

I bought the above and they arrived yesterday, I put them on the car only to notice that the brake calliper on the front was rubbing. quick trip to halfords and I bought 5mm wheel spacers which solved that problem. Next I noticed the back ones rubbing on the suspension strut (on the cup that holds the spring), another trip to halfords and I got some 6mm spacers. When car was on the jack both wheels turned freely, when on the ground one still rubs. As well as this the front appears to rub the plastic in the back of the wheel arch at the front of the car when going round corners.Has anyone else had problems fitting 17" wheels? Do I just need bigger spacers on the back? How do I solve the problem on the front? HELP!!! :mad:

I take it this is a VR we're talking about and that the wheels are copies as RS6s are 5 x 112 stud pattern?

What offset are the wheels and how much has the car been lowered? Are you using coilovers or normal mcpherson struts?

I'd say either the car is too low or the wheels are just not suitable for the car.

Sorry I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this. Yeah its a VR6 and they are RS6 copies I got 5mm spacer on the front and 6mm on the back. I'm not sure if this is the same as the offset?!? and the people I bought the alloys off said they would fit. How can I look up the offset I need? THe car has not been lowered at all and it has standard mcpherson struts

the offset is sometimes stamped on the inside of the rim

your looking for something that says ET35 or ETxx (xx being any 2 numbers) thats the offset

Sounds like the offset is wrong as 17" wheels should fit with no problems

You need to take a wheel off and have a look for a number starting with 'ET' this is the offset given by your wheel !

Possably ET38/ET35 on most audi rim's

hope this help's :)

also what width are the wheels? 7", 7.5" ?? and what size tyres do you have? for 17" you should have 205/40/17 or 215/35/17

any thing different to that and you may have problems catching the suspension and / or the arches

I would say the offset is too deep if they're rubbing on the rear spring plates and catching on the front calipers. I believe the RS6 copies are 7.5" width. But as already mentioned, if the offset is around 40-35 and you've got 205x40x17 tyres on them, there shouldn't be any rubbing, but it depends on how the spokes are set in relation to the hub mounting face etc etc...

Generally speaking....17s bolt straight on without the need for spacers. Mine do and they're 8x17 with 215 tyres. I do however get a very slight amount of catching on the rear tyre sidewalls on the arch lip over big bumps, but that's easy to sort...... just waiting for the parts to arrive. Bloomin Germans are soooo slow :evil:

The place I got the wheels from claim that 205's or 215's wont fit the rim. Not sure this is entirely true so I'm getting a mate to take the wheels to a local tire depot to see what they say. Does anyone know of any reason they wouldn't fit?

You need to give us more info. Wheel width and offset. As stated the tyres you were supplied with are not the correct size in either rolling radius or width for a Corrado. 17" wheels were not OE fit to a C so there will always be some compromise.

205/40R17 is the safest bet and most accurate for the rolling radius. Any width wider than 205 can lead to clearance issues on the arch or suspension, therefore size, offset and tyre choice together with suspension choices and the consideration of body mods are vital before considering larger wheels. I hate to say it but you should have done the research first. If you give us wheel sizes we can give you a good idea if 205s will fit ( up to 8" they will with a little stretch) and you could ask the supplier to change tyres.

If your speedometer has been calibrated for 205/50 R 15 (23 x 8.07 x 15) tires, replacing them with 225/45 R 17's (26 x 8.86 x 17's) would result in the speedometer reading low by 7.61%.

if the rims are 7.5" wide the 205/40/17 will fit but they will look a bit stretched. i would go for 215/35/17 if they are 7.5" wide or more.

the biggest problem though is the offset. that is what is causing them to hit the suspension and the calipers! Must have been a really high offset if you have used 6mm spacers and their still hitting!!??

Might be best to get a refund on them and get some with the correct offset!!

get those monster truck tyres off ASAP!!!

I got them on my TT alloys and they had to go. 205/40s now and its nearly right :) still clips the rear arch at the front bottom tho :(

should be cool mate. only problem might be the caliper catching the rim. this happened on my ET35 rims and I just stuck 3mm spacers on. no more problem.

Had a look last night the offset is ET35 the tyres are 225/45/R17 and the wheels are 17/17.5. If I get a lower profile will they fit?

The person you sold you 225/45/17's is an idiot, those wouldn't fit my C with flared arches. :roll:

205/40s now and its nearly right :) still clips the rear arch at the front bottom tho :(

I'm surprised that's happening with 205s. My 215s clip slightly too but I was kind of expecting that after I dropped the rear down a couple of notches.

How low are you? Mine's about a finger and a half (oo er) all round between tyre and arch.

I think my problem is that Im on ET32 :(

it only catches on a very severe bump tho. Im gonna get 2mm cut off the inside face of the rim to take the offset up to 34ish. It really is that close.