Sign in to follow this  
pablo_vr6

bit of a strange one - clicking from boot?

sometimes when I stop at lights etc (and noise level goes down) I can hear a clicking sound from the rear pass side of the car. sounds like its in the boot.

sure enough the other day I had the seats down and it was much louder. only seems to happen when i stop and it lasts for a second tops. might happen a couple of times depending how long Im stopped.

defo isnt:

heated seat relays (more from boot area)

rear spoiler mechanism (happens at low speed also)

any ideas? just bugs me a little.

cheers

-pablo

Dunno if it's related but I also had the same noise, again from the nearside rear when braking....just one click and that was it. Actually it was more a very faint clonk than a click.

The noise has since dissapeared and I put it down to my newly installed MK4 pads shifting about in the caliper/carriers slightly as I filed them down to make sure they wouldn't sieze solid like they did last winter!

Pablo,

I have noticed a similar noise recently. It is very faint with the radio on at normal volume and for a couple of weeks I thought I was hearing things :shock:

After 'bigpants baby's' suggestion I think he might be right....it does sound like the central locking pump.

Sure it's not the damper thing to the side of the lock? I had one in at work which broke and was rattling around in the tailgate. A new one was about £12 IIRC :)

Dont think it could be this, cause you'd have it a lot more when driving round, but it's worth a quick check. Take a look at underneath the rear speakers, to see if the rear damper rods haven't pushed through the spring plate (corroded to buggery), through the rubber cap, and are tapping their way through the underside metal of the speakers :shock: Happened to me and it took a while of being driven mad by the tapping noise it made 'til I reaslied what it was.

its wierd tho cos Im stopped when I hear it so I guess that rules out the suspension. gonna pull the panels off and have a look the curiousity is killing me!!!