Sign in to follow this  
junbao

Question on tensioner area - squeaking

Hi there,

Need a quick answer I'm afraid. K reg VR6

Have a squeaking i can here from engine bay, coming from the tensioner belt area.

Disappears when no accelerator applied. Believe it is from the larger wheel closest to rear of engine bay that the back of the belt goes over.

If my eyes are not decieving me, looks as if it isn't running straight and true, possible wobble.

Had a search on the forum but am a bit unsure of exactly what the wheel is and whether its an emergency or whatever. Heard talk of pumps etc. Just abit unsure.

Diagram included on the text document, its the lowest of the wheels on the diagram, if that helps.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

J

Sorry, diagram was rubbish so left it out. :oops:

If you look at engine from the side, its the larger one toward the cabin, that the back of the belt runs on.

The aux belt runs across the water pump (in engine block), the pas pump (lower external), then alternator (external), then the belt tensioner pulley. If you have air con there's an extra wheel in there, but I'm not sure which order it comes in.

By the sound of your description you *may* be talking about the water pump...?

Don't have air con, but i think you might be right.

There's the tensioner at the top, then 2 smaller wheels then this wheel I'm on about.

Any idea what sort of work i'm in for if it is on its way out?

It's not that hard. Have a dig around the search, but people seem to suggest it's about an hour's labour, 2 at the most? You've got to jack the engine up slightly to get access tho.