Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

VR6 Restrictor

I've been told that VR's come standard with traction control but i overheard a dude at a garage who thought they had a top speed restrictor too, is this right?

Nope, no top speed restrictior.

The traction control was always a token effort and not a very good one at that and nobody ever notices it working. It's supposed to stop the wheels spinning below speeds of 25mph, but it's pap and doesn't work!

Think you are talking about a govenor? The VR has one as do all cars to stop the engine going pop with exxessive rpm.

Had my last VR derestricted in germany some years (10) ago. Lots of mods done and 8500 rpm. Had her up to 175 and felt like there was much much more left from the old girl but engine expectancy would be circa 20k if you were lucky.

Yeah the VR has a rev limiter but it's not an electronic speed limiter as hinted at in the first post.

8,500 rpm from a VR6? I take it you had solid lifters, high lift cams, H/D springs and a lightened and balanced bottom end (probably a forged steel crank and forged pistons too) to achieve that?

7,500 is just about doable with hydraulic lifters and 268 cams but 8,500 needs some SERIOUS modding - especially from 2 valve p/cyl engine.

Not really sure. I know she was bored out to 3.1L new cams ect ect.

Bit like VVT I would imagine. Shockingly quick kid you not. I believe it was a 360bhp+ conversion with a turbo. Not sure of the 0-60 but circa 5.2-5. The doctor owner spent about £4k on it. And god. do i miss her? is the pope catholic?

3.1 turbo! Feck....you weren't kidding when you said it had "Lots of mods", LOL!

175mph - it all makes sense now.... If you could get all that power down off the line, I reckon a 4.5 to 5 sec 0-60 time would be achievable, depending on gearing, launch control etc etc...