Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Should I sell my G60 and buy this VR6...

Well she was early 30's and seemed pretty sensible. From what I understand the car spends most of its time sitting in a train station car park, hence the amount of general untidyness on the bodywork.

bought mine from a lady owner too :wink: . At that price I would of bit her hand off for the car, in good nick with the seats it should be worth closer to 4k

Go get it Jim! That interior is something special. As others have said- if at all possible try and run the two side by side for a bit- then decide which one you want. £2.5k is an absolute steal, and if you end up deciding to keep the G60, just swap the interior over and sell the VR6 on.

This is too good to pass up, mate!

Well I can't help but detect an overwhelming opinion on this.

I'm gonna try and run over the maths in the next few days to see what can be done. I'm definately interested and the thought of owning a 'unique fixer upper opportunity' (but one that is totally standard for easier insurance!) is appealing.

And that VR6 sounded so good...

It'd be so cool to have both! I'd love to do that... have a VR6 everyday car, and then a stipped out, tuned G60 :D

But seriously, from the sounds of it you can't really lose.. even a worst case scenario you'll break even if you sell it

As you say going by the number of people who have said,

"If you don`t buy it let me know!"

Then it would seem there is a queue for it.

Just buy it you know it makes sense. :D

I'd buy it for the interior alone - you could sell it for £2500 with a cloth interior in it's current state if you look at the silly money folk are asking at the moment. I sold my valver in September for £2100 and it needed more doing than that VR!

Goodluck 8)

I'm still in a quandry. I want those seats, but quite honestly I just can't afford the car without selling mine. And the window of opportunity is narrow - she needs to have a buyer secured for the car within the next week or two ideally.

Thing is, my G60 is a good car - and if I spend the kinda money on rennovating VR6 that I could spend on the G60, it would be absolutely perfect.

God damnit. Unless I can work something out, this will need to be put up on the forum. I think she'll be seriously wanting offers NO LESS than £3000.. and serious buyers too, not time wasters.

0% is still the way to go. Small monthly payments for 6 months while you make uip your mind. Transfer the money to your current account and Bobs your uncle.

Think of it as 'good debt'. You are buying an asset not a liability. At least have the seats out. Fit a cloth set, sell your G60 leather too. Folk will be lined up at your door.

TAKE ACTION TODAY. http://www.egg.com :D

Gavin

So help me to understand this.

I can get a credit card with Egg with a £2,500 limit and no interest on purchases for 6 months? Transfer the whole £2,500 into my account.. buy the car, and then if i'm not convinced after a few months, flog it back (hopefully at a small profit after i've sorted some of the problems out on it) and clear the card off? Then dust the G60 off and get it back out of the garage?

I can get a credit card with Egg with a £2,500 limit and no interest on purchases for 6 months? Transfer the whole £2,500 into my account.. buy the car, and then if i'm not convinced after a few months, flog it back (hopefully at a small profit after i've sorted some of the problems out on it) and clear the card off? Then dust the G60 off and get it back out of the garage?

Yep, or if you like the VR, sell the G60 and pay the card off 8)

You can't transfer the money into your account - that's not how credit cards work.

You *can* go out and buy things and not pay for them for 6 months, however.

If you currently have a negative balance on a credit card that you were intending to pay off you can defer that debt for six months.

If you can buy the car with a CC then you can take advantage of the interest free, otherwise you'll need to take out a loan..

Yeah - was going to say you'll need a balance to transfer to it ideally... Thjats what I do, buy everything on CC, pay the min payment and just transfer the balance if I don't want to pay it off - I don't spend cash I don't have, I just like to make more Inerest on it!

You have got the jist Jim. Most if not all cards allow you to transfer existing( not yet created debt) onto them. The 0% is not just for new purchases, most of the ones I have seen do actually charge you interest on new purchases. Be aware though if you were to then spend a grand on the card on suspension and stuff, they would knock any payments off this debt first and not the transfered money. Thus costing you interest.

You can transfer the money into a current account, to 'clear' an overdraft for example. When I have done this they haven't asked if I actually got one I want to clear.

I disagree with dr_mat on his point. You have to transfer the money off the card to use it, new purchases will attract interest. Some come with cheque books that are interest free. Just write yourself a cheque. :)

There are folk making money like supercharged by transferring the money to high interest accounts and moving balances around constantly. The card companies are relying on few people doing this and the majority incurring interest eventually.

Like Kev says if you decide to keep it use the G60 money to pay it off. Or sell within 6 months and clear the outstanding debt that way. Flogging off your leather would get a couple of payments out of the way.

Gavin

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/articles.phtml#CC

You can't transfer the money into your account - that's not how credit cards work.

Yes you can. With Egg Money manager you can transfer funds from the available card limit to a current account under the proviso you are 'transferring' an overdraft debt.

Yes you can. With Egg Money manager you can transfer funds from the available card limit to a current account under the proviso you are 'transferring' an overdraft debt.

Do you do the voise over kev ?? :lol:

Hm.. she wants a little more than I hoped for it.

I need to do some serious thinking this evening.

not wanting to start a 4 cylinder/6 cylinder debate but, and this is my opinon only, I know which I would rather have, there is something about the vr6 engine that makes it so different and somwhat special, sounds like a supercar, well I think they do, and they go well enough.

I have got the use of my mams VR for the month, first time I have been driving a VR for 2 years, and its electric, sends tingles down my spine when I floor it. (and its not the heated seats :) ). Although I did think it was a bit slow to start off with, but I was driving it like my bora tdi :roll:

so how much does she want for it?

I think she'd be entertaining serious offers in the region of £3000...

But i've just decided i'd rather spend the money on my G60 (which has got a long, plentiful and well documented history) over this VR6 which I only really want for the interior.

Provided she is ok with it, i'm probably gonna put a For Sale up thread for the VR tomorrow.