Sign in to follow this  
Bora Bora

Cold Air Feed Pipe (sorted!)

I picked up an old airbox for my valver today and plan to fit a cold air feed pipe to it.

I think I will remove the grill and using a hole saw cut a hole into the panel behind it. Then do the same to the airbox and link up the holes with some pipe.

Anyone done anything similar?

Any tips?

And what is the best sort of pipe and diameter to use?

I've done this, check out my personal gallery for pics.

It took quite a bit of fabrication to get it out the side, I think the diameter of the Ali pipe is about 70mm.

Thats exactly what I want to do mate!

Impressively done!

Struggling to find some flexible pipe to do the job.Where did you get yours from and also the aluminium piece?

Does it make much difference or just sound nice?

I did the same to my Golf as daves16v did, it did seem to help the responsivness of the engine and I didn't really notice any difference in noise. Have a rummage through a scrapyard and find some flexible air ducting from behind a dashboard.

Improved the response but no more noise.

I work in the fab industry so was able to get the tube from work and have a plate welded to it that had mounting holes that also blanked off the original inlet to the box. I also made a blanking plate so the box could be returned to standard.

The flexible tube was given to me by a friend who was refurbing his caravan. He had some caravan ducting tube left over which is about £8 a metre. Best tube I've ever used, very flexible but stiff at the same time and also fire proof. Best thing about it was that it reduced from about a metre to about a 300mm whilst remaining flexible. Mine doesn't poke thru the front but sits just behind the gap between the slam panel and bumper. I was a little concerned about too much water getting in.

I was a little concerned about too much water getting in.

I was thinking about doing this and thats a very good point.

At the point the flexible pipe meets the Ali pipe I've drilled about an 8mm hole at the bottom to help drain any water getting in.

hi candywhite did u finall get ya car sorted maye?did u get the metering head?And where did u get the air box for ya motor?ive been looking everywhere for bloody ages to get hold of one but cant find one.Where the hell did u get it from.Also i have a full how to about modding the airbox with an airfed pipe and everything.Ill try and find it somewhere

CandyWhite16v, There seem to be alot of cold air feeds that have used the existing inlet (behind the headlight) and this results in the flexible pipe being squashed as it routes into the area behind the grill. I saw this as inefficient so decided to go with the side outlet. You have to remove the rubber o-ring that holds the box down and bend down the tab that the o-ring sits around. Don't worry the box doesn't move about.

There isn't alot of height in the lower air box so you need to be choose the pipe size carefully if you intend coming out the side of the box.

Getting the parts fabricated could be a problem if you don't have access to the facilities.

Gsf do some air ducting it's about £2 or £3 a length , that's what i used ! :)

You can drill the air box or remove the mouth piece to direct your hose into !! :wink:

On the 16v theres a huge plate near the headlight in the chassis that pops out.I beleive this is where the carbon canister normally gos on other models.Ive popped this out and have managed to get a 4" flexi tube down through the hole and into the airstream.Ive used tumble drier hose before but the bit im using at the mo is a internal heater pipe from a landrover

I've done this on mine, I have also separated off part of the area behind the grill to make a scoop, plus I have plumbed it in so the air flap inside the airbox can still block the cold feed if needed.