Sign in to follow this  
KarmannVR6

vag-com results. what do they mean?

I recently used vag-com to try and diagnose my abs problem. The faults it found where mainly with the wheel sensors. Thing is i dont understand if they need replacing or not.

Can anyone help?

00285 - front right

35-00--

00290 - rear left

16-00 - signal outside specifications

00290 - rear left

04-00 - mechanical malfunction

00287 - rear right

04-00 - mechanical malfunction

Does 'signal outside specifcations' mean its knackered or not?

Also the front right sensor fault code doesnt say whats wrong?

I tested the resistance of the sensors with a multimeter and they all read 1.4k ohms.

Any sudgestions?

Hmmm, not very clear is it...

Did you reset the fault codes as they could have built up over years, you need to clear then and drive it until the light comes on then stick it back on VAGCOM...

The rear ones may have triggered if the car was put on a rolling road, the signal outside spec is most likely I would think - Over time the magnets loose resolution and just need replacing...

Hehe, that's a pretty comprehensive list!

First of all, did you clear the codes? If so, ignore the majority of them, work on the ones that come back after clearing them.

Mechanical malfunctions mean that the electrical performance of the sensor is fine, but that it's getting a signal that indicates that the ABS cage is either damaged or not there. Good point about the rolling road tho - both my rear sensors showed up after a trip to Stealth, and I couldn't figure out why, so that might easily explain those two!

No i didnt clear the codes first so i think your right, most have proberly built up. Think i'll get 'em cleared and start again.

Watch this space!

Cheers guys.

"Mechanical malfunction" also appears if the sensor is not plugged in. So if they come back after clearing down the ECU's memory, check the wiring looms and wheel sensor plugs for security etc. The connections for the rear sensors are under the rear seats if you need to replace them.

Thanks.

I replaced the rear discs and pads recently so i think that might explain the machanical malfunction there. Im gonna clear the codes and see what come up.

I also gote fault code: 01276 - abs hydraulic pump

16-00 - signal outside specifications

Should i be worried?

No, all the rotors are there so i guess one or more is shot.

Well thanks for your help. Hopefully it wont be anything more than a sensor or two and some rotors.