Sign in to follow this  
StuartFZR400

Wheels Help - ET on wheel for a 16v 2.0 should be?

EEk - its first day back to work and brians not in gear; of course offset is from centre line, my mistake.

However my first question remains... what ET can i use with a 6 or 6.5j wheel, yet keep super handling?

Try and keep it to factory ET, which is 35 for the G60/16V as already mentioned.

just to confirm, the only reason I needed 11mm spacers was because of the design of the INSIDE of where the spokes met the rim of the Borbet C wheel I was using on J-DUB. The clearance that was needed for this part of the wheel to clear the brembo calipers meant I needed to space 'em by around 9mm, so I chose 11mm to make sure that there was a little more clearance seeing as I had to get the spacers custom made anyway so that they'd incorporate spiggot rings and be hubcentric... 8)

The wheels on my new motor may well clear the Brembos with no spacers or messing about, but then, they're 17" too... :| Think I may put the new one onto the Borbets too... ;) 8)

From the diagram, cheers Geo, Im infering that if a wheel gets wider, yet keeps the same offset (ET), then the edge of the wheel gets closer to the arch by half the width increase.

Obviously a wheel can become too wide to the point it rubs the inner arch, but im guessing it catches the outer too. Having said that, lets say we moded the car - how does a very wide wheel affect handling, whilst keeping the same offset?

Does it just make for heavier steering?

THE diag helps me think clearer, thanks Geo

From the diagram, cheers Geo, Im infering that if a wheel gets wider, yet keeps the same offset (ET), then the edge of the wheel gets closer to the arch by half the width increase.

Yup, that's correct, it'll also get 1/2 the width increase closer to the INSIDE of the car too... ;)

Obviously a wheel can become too wide to the point it rubs the inner arch, but im guessing it catches the outer too.

That's where the offset comes into play... very few cars have an offset where the wheel is EXACTLY 1/2 way between the inner and outer edges where it can catch... Don't forget that there's moving suspension components within the inner wing which can catch too and cause problems...

Having said that, lets say we moded the car - how does a very wide wheel affect handling, whilst keeping the same offset?

Does it just make for heavier steering?

Wider wheels can cause tramlining (car wants to follow the grooves in the road like a tram on a track), cause the steering to be heavier and don't neccessarily increase grip unless you play with the tyre pressures...

Its also worth bearing in mind that even if the ET looks to be in your favour, due to the design of some rims , they still may not fit.

I've just found this out the hard way, and believe me i asked enough questions and read enough old threads ! Mine are 7x16 et25 (G60). Took me months to hunt these rims down only to find that the front wheels rub on the calipers. Thought et25 would of been perfect, or at least i didn't want to go any lower than that, just hope i don't have to space them out too much, or maybe i can grind a bit of my calipers, not keen on that idea though.

Also, HENNY, what profile tyres do you have on your 16''s ? 40 or 45 ?

Are they rubbing slightly? If so you can relieve the caliper brace bar of a couple of mill as I did that to get some 16s on mine with no adverse affects.

Are they rubbing slightly? If so you can relieve the caliper brace bar of a couple of mill as I did that to get some 16s on mine with no adverse affects.

Didn't take long and it was dead easy as well :lol:

This sounds promising Kev, i'll have to have another look when its light, probably Saturday. Don't suppose you'll be on here to get some advice as i'm not so clued up on this !!

Width of wheel makes for tramlinnig?!

Does anyone here have first hand experience of both a 6.5j and 7j wheel, with regards to tramlining.

At present im finding my 7j's tramline too much; ive got to fight the car to stay true; compared to the nimble scirocco its horrid.

Does anyone here have first hand experience of both a 6.5j and 7j wheel, with regards to tramlining.

At present im finding my 7j's tramline too much; ive got to fight the car to stay true; compared to the nimble scirocco its horrid.

Get your tracking checked.... sounds like there's something else amiss here... 7J shouldn't suffer from tramlining much more than a 6.5J, it's only when you start getting up in the 8, 8.5 and 9J ranges that tramlining starts to be really apparent...

The corrado should feel MUCH more nimble than a scirocco unless you've got 2 tonnes of ICE fitted! ;)

Do alternative tyre pressure help reduce tramlining?

They can do... it's worth having a play with 'em to see what you think feels best.

Yep I've tried 6.5, 7 and 8 and tramlining is roughly the same with all 3. The 8s are slightly worse but that's largely down to the 215 tyres but it's certainly not a battle keeping the car in a straight line, unless the roads are exceptionally bad, and even then it's managable.

hey all, very useful thread, i suffered some tramlining on my old mk1, due to running 7x13's with ET of 6(!!) and some rear wheel rub on large bumps! Looking to go deep dish 7.5x16's for my c, when funds allow. :roll: .....although the rs4 style in 17's look good.

Finally had a chance of some daylight to have a proper look at where they're rubbing - on the split rim bolts(only just) Do you think your idea could help Kev ? Can you explain how to do this.

OR has anyone else had the same prob and know where i can get shorter bolts OR is cutting them down a bad idea?

After market ones which i'm starting to think are the prob. If yours are BBS bolts, how much thread of the bolt sticks out past the nuts on yours??

I'll have a look for you as soon as I can, the wheels are off the car, cleaned and stored elsewhere at present but I think this might be the problem.

Thanks for your help ! Mine only stick out 3mm at the most but its enough to be too much !! Also just found out that you can get different sized/shallower nuts but where from? Any ideas ?

Cheers fellas.

It was my concern that the car is poorly set up [by previous owner]. I had a list of ideas as to what it could be. Hence the desire to go back to standard.

I know it sounds silly to do all that, to fix the problem, to find out that i could've kept my 17x7's, but i think a nice set of 15x6.5 BBS-G60's will look nice as a pic in one of my threads.

Still Looking for those wheels though..... market has dried up. Although just missed a set of [16]Rx's go for £210.

Oh and Henny was right in the end...

Does anyone here have first hand experience of both a 6.5j and 7j wheel, with regards to tramlining.At present im finding my 7j's tramline too much

Get your tracking checked.... sounds like there's something else amiss here... .

The camber was actually out, so I was running on the inner edge (like a knife)