Sign in to follow this  
Neil L.

VR6 "screech" on startup

Only owned my 94' VR6 for few weeks and noticed a high pitched noise on firing up. The noise is very brief - fuel pump? starter? or is this the norm with VR's?

or is this the norm with VR's?

It certainly is not.

VR engine is renowned for its purr and whine when you wind it up around 4.2Krpm. Slight “tapping/knocking” is acceptable for a few seconds max while the tappets and cam are introduced to oil from the pump. Older engines with anywhere between 80 and 120k on the clock will develop a more continuous knocking to the left hand side of the engine will be expected by the tensioner pulley and timing chain been worn. This should be replaced as soon as and while you are at it, cluch replacement owing to the removal of the engine.

Sorry but that is the total of my knowledge and unable to help further with your problem. Hope you get it sorted anyway and without much expense.

VR belts shouldn't screech at all, not even when drenched going through a puddle. Sounds like the tensioner springs have gone weak, which is quite common. Replacing the pulley bearing is all well and good but eventually you will have to replace the complete tensioner aswell.

Remember this noise is for brief second on startup only - reading your views and what i know i reckon its starter run over - i heared similar noise on my RS Turbo which was a faulty starter. The car has new engine (VW supplied - 15k miles) and new chains and tensioners!

neil i remember the car doing this about 3 or 4 times while i owned it.

uncle (a retired motor engineer) was in the car one time and he said it was starter motor not disengaging quickly enuff, he said removing it and dropping a touch of light oil on the insides shud sort it (or just replace it if under warranty ;)) But he recommended leaving it and waiting to see if it went.

The starter on the car iirc was was new in or around may and as such will be under warranty. You may even be able to claim back labour costs.

I was thinking the same thing about warranty Warcraft - I'll keep a check on things and see how it goes - cheers!