Sign in to follow this  
A20 LEE

Bigger Master Cylinder?

Ordered new brakes today. What else do i need to improve while i'm at it. Got braided hoses. Ordered Ferodo fast road pads.

Bigger master cylinder? Suggestions?

Dot 5 fluid? or is there something better?

I upgraded my M/Cyl to a mk3 Golf 16v ABS version, its a 23mm one as oppossed to 22mm that the corrado has. It only has 2 outlets aswell so much easier to plum in etc etc

The Corrado VR6 has the same 23mm Master Cylinder as per the MK3 + cars, so Lee will need something even bigger! Unfortunately we can't use MK4 stuff as they don't have pedal position sensors in the servo.

I would fit the bigger brakes, bleed and flush the whole system (including the MC) and then go from there. It's not so much the MC size really that's the problem on the VR as the Merc C class has the same brakes and they work well...... but rather the slack in the pedal before the brakes start biting.....but I'm working on it.

The Corrado VR6 has the same 23mm Master Cylinder as per the MK3 + cars, so Lee will need something even bigger! Unfortunately we can't use MK4 stuff as they don't have pedal position sensors in the servo.

I would fit the bigger brakes, bleed and flush the whole system (including the MC) and then go from there. It's not so much the MC size really that's the problem on the VR as the Merc C class has the same brakes and they work well...... but rather the slack in the pedal before the brakes start biting.....but I'm working on it.

I didn't know that, but I needed the 2 outlet version, I think yours has 3 outlets? Anyway I have 4-pot Porsche Boxster S / 996 front calipers and they work fine with this m/cyl I have.

You want 5.1 - (5.0 is silicon based)

What brakes did you get?

I'll reveal more once i know they'll fit. Brakes are tricky.

If you increase the master cylinder size, the pedal effort will rise by the square of the diameter increase. eg a 25mm m/c will need about 18% more effort than a 23mm m/c. On the other hand, the pedal travel will be reduced by the same proportion.

Best wishes

RB

Yeah, it has a higher boiling point, but doesn't last any longer than DOT4 though as it's still hygroscopic.

I've had the servo out of mine and there wasn't much room at all to play with larger ones.

Lee: Which Ferodo pads did you get ?

I've used DS2000 before and loved them, but couldnt get them in time last time I changed.

I'm not as impressed with the Mintex ones I'm using now :(