Sign in to follow this  
K-rado

Super Unleaded V

I've had nothing but trouble with that new Esso stuff. Tried Optimax, BP Ultimate without any problems but she DIDN'T like the Esso stuff. In fact The Sainsburys low sulphur Super Unleaded is her favourite, and its thankfully quite cheap at 80.9p litre

What sort of problems did you encounter with Supreme? Are you sure it wasn't just a coincidence that your engine was having an off moment after you filled up? Although having said that, my engine didn't run particularly well on Esso Supreme either!! A bit lumpy and coarse and the torque seemed to shift.... it was all below 3500rpm and nothing above that.

Now that Optimax is back in, that problem seems to have gone....weird!

I'm not using my car that much at the moment and so have been filling up with Ultimate as apparently optimax reduces in Octane if left for too long *apparently*

Actually I nearly always use Ultimate since it came out and Optimax if a BP garage is too far away. Never tried unleaded - don't see the point if Super is suppose to be better for the engine and gives a better mpg so the costs should be quite even overall.

I'm not using my car that much at the moment and so have been filling up with Ultimate as apparently optimax reduces in Octane if left for too long *apparently*

I can beleive that, I think I had a dodgy tank a few weeks ago, car was slow (like it was on standard unleaded and my timing is advances for super) and MPG went down also...

What sort of problems did you encounter with Supreme? Are you sure it wasn't just a coincidence that your engine was having an off moment after you filled up? Although having said that, my engine didn't run particularly well on Esso Supreme either!! A bit lumpy and coarse and the torque seemed to shift.... it was all below 3500rpm and nothing above that.

Now that Optimax is back in, that problem seems to have gone....weird!

I tried the Supreme stuff on four separate occasions because I was in self denial that it was causing problems because I was able to get it close by and relatively cheaply. I SOOO WANTED it to be like Optimax or even Ultimate but on each occasion, filling a nearly empty tank, the car almost immediately changed rev and idle characteristics. Began to run very roughly low down in the rev range like it was protesting against the pedal.

My own opinion is (and I am no expert) that it accentuated any idling or revving deficiencies that already may be present. Almost as though fuel delivery was struggling....

Anyway I've made my mind up not to use the stuff anymore....infact its put me off using Esso fuels altogether.

Be interesting to see how the half tank of Optimax in my car has survived. Once the car's running again, the Optimax will have been in the tank for 5 months .. :shock:

The other thing is that these fuels improve fuel economy. But you tend to drive a little harder so you lose the benifit :)