Sign in to follow this  
K-rado

Rear Brake Calipers

Help please.

Went to change the rear pads today and could I hell get the piston back.

Im I missing something. Do i have to do something to release the pressure? Yes I removed the cap in the engine bay. Could not get back.

The breaks are well well worn and yes they work. I undid the bleed screw and a little fluid came out but only a drip or 2.

Yes I released the handbreak. Would not have bot the old ones out other wise.

Had a job to get the rear ones back on and when I did they were well stiff.

Freed up a little on a 10mile drive.

Those in the know, Please Advise

Edit: Sorry, HAD to correct the spelling in the title... 'breaks'... is this Butlins? --Andi (Admin)

OH Thanks 4 that Andi. Little rich coming from a man who spells his name wrong :lol: But good Pointer all the same. :D

you need a tool to wind back the pistons on the rears iirc

Ta Very Much right u r Blue. So the calliper is not seized? I tried all sorts of tools (persuaders) to get her back but no go. Where would I lay my grubs on such a tool and how much? IYO

I think im right in sayin that they turn as there pushed back, I might be compleatly wrong as i havent done it yet!!! but i remember someone telling me that a while ago.

Top Man. Well I never knew that! Learn something new every day.

I will post on the How to section when I get the new tool!

Be careful with the Halfords caliper windback tool (same as the ones we sell) - not specifically designed for VW's but will do the job with care.

Be careful with the Halfords caliper windback tool (same as the ones we sell) - not specifically designed for VW's but will do the job with care.

Are you on about the new 'Laser' ones they (Halfords) sell Steve?? - I managed to get one of the Sykes Pickavent ones for £12 when they were selling them off but I must say the new stuff doesn't look as good - worse quality tools for more money!

Laser quality is ok, not great, but they work okay - the problem is that the Laser rewind tools are not designed for & don't fit the VW calipers very well.

Laser quality is ok, not great, but they work okay - the problem is that the Laser rewind tools are not designed for & don't fit the VW calipers very well.

So which ones do then, what should i buy if i need one.

VW ones!

Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination though!

Go to the Sykes Pickavant website. The wind-back tool is in there, so it's still available; it's a first-class addition to your tool kit. Make sure you get the correct flange for the piston recess pattern you have, or splash out on the full set.

Best wishes

RB

Spoke to somebody who knows somebody and they said it could be wound back by hand if they are free or with the use of a "Oil Filter tool" I know what he means. Can get the tool steve but how often would you be likely to use it? Not often i would guess.

Storm Classic, honestly mate, pay the £20 or get a garage to do it - It could take you all day to wind them back without the correct tool!

Oil filter tool?? Do you mean a chain wrench? You will gouge the piston and tear the dust seal with anything like that. After that, it's just a matter of time before the caliper siezes up.

Best wishes

RB

It never ceases to amaze me when people won't buy a 20 quid tool to do the job PROPERLY!!

It's not an Austin Allegro and therefore needs tools to maintain, not cellotape, pipe wrenches and Miracle Grow.

the proper tool locates into two grooves in the caliper piston face and a plate that sits opposite the piston in the pad carrier, and as you wind the tool in it pushes the piston in while turning it at the same time.

the first time i changed my rear pads i made a tool myself by grinding down one of my brothers large snap on sockets :lol: so it sat securely in the grooves with no risk of damaging the bore or piston but it did take ages and hurt my hand too much :cry: when i was winding it in, it was'nt really worth the hastle and the last time i changed them i went and bought the proper tool which took half the time.

Tks People and Kevhaywire for your words of wisdon. Classic.

But UR right (I Know says he) Will Have a look in Half fords in the W/e.

Now where did I put that Jimmy Bar??????????? he he he he he he

If you're really feeling like a tight git, go buy one, use it, take it back :roll:

If you're really feeling like a tight git, go buy one, use it, take it back :roll:

Tight Git? :lol: Nop not I old bean. I Have £10 with your name on it at the MK Meet. Oh and hows that drivers Window :lol:

Tight Git? :lol: Nop not I old bean. I Have £10 with your name on it at the MK Meet. Oh and hows that drivers Window :lol:

Heh heh, the window is hopefully fine, but it's still attached to the car, which is still sitting in the bodyshop lock up :(

Lock Her up Please Mod.

Oh and Andi, First Post changed / edited for your pleasure LOL

Cheers Dinkus for the Window "Pain" Keep me posted K