Sign in to follow this  
Jim

DRASTIC Insurance Reduction!

Chris Knott quoted me £1024 to renew, agreed value. Thats not too much of an increase on last year. Yet Adrian flux just quoted me £706, also agreed value! Quite happy with that!

If possible I'd try and avoid Highway, just in case anything does happen. They are one of the cheapest insurers out there, but trying to get a reasonable offer out of them brings to mind blood and stones... Good luck!

Tom

Well Adrian Flux said they do a 'like for like' insurance policy on all modifications- which means if I have, for example, Koni shocks and Speedline wheels, then they make their payout apparently they have to give me reimbursement for all the seperate mods as well. And as I happen to have reciepts for EVERYTHING done to my car, they would have to pay out a fairly hefty sum if anything happened.

I'm with Privilege and for three years running no-one's been able to beat them; pretty quick to get a quote online but I'm not sure what they're like about mods though as all my cars up til the Passat (getting picked up on Fri!) have been unmodded...

I'm amazed that they were charging you that much!!

When i was 19 they wanted £4400 from me for TP only with 0 NCB, manged to get that down to £1800 but that was still too much for the G60.

I've just finally managed to purchase a G60 at 23, first quote with Elephant.co.uk TPFT with 0 NCB was £606.

Performance Direct quoted me £800 3rd party F&T for my 1.8 16v, through Highway.

Adrian Flux quoted me £425 3rd party F&T... through Highway!

Exactly the same cover, same company, different brokers.. crazy.

Guess who i went through?!?

Don't know about problems with claims through, fingers crossed will never find out!

When i was 19 they wanted £4400 from me for TP only with 0 NCB, manged to get that down to £1800 but that was still too much for the G60.

I've just finally managed to purchase a G60 at 23, first quote with Elephant.co.uk TPFT with 0 NCB was £606.

Its the 0NCB thats killing you there, 1 years NCB is worth 30%

Just had a quote from John at brentacre, I'm so happy I'll be ringing up to confirm it later.

It's only £80 more than the re-newel from Performance Direct but that's with any mod I like with power capped at 300bhp.

P.D. Wouldn't touch me with any mods.

I can't believe it :D well happy!!!

I'm 23 and got my insurance on my new baby (vr6) for £712 from egg.com. When If you pay by egg credit card you get another £30 off too! I've got 4 yrs no claims and live in Margate.

Kwik Fit quoted me £2400! lol

I'm 23 and got my insurance on my new baby (vr6) for £712 from egg.com. When If you pay by egg credit card you get another £30 off too! I've got 4 yrs no claims and live in Margate.

Kwik Fit quoted me £2400! lol

Hmm egg do insurance eh? I'll have to investigate that...

Wow - just got off the phone to discuss my insurance renewal which isn't in the too distant future..

Last year - paying a little over £1,300 - this year i've been quoted £776! Not a bad improvement eh? Gonna obviously try shopping around but have found John to be really really useful every time i've ever had to talk to him on the phone..

Finally - my gradual crawl towards old age is starting to pay off ;) :)

Behave Jim, that makes me old too.

Told you it should be a lot lower this time around. Keeping it?

Further phoning around - Greenlight say £850 and that wasn't even taking into account modifications. HIC's computers were down when I called so need to try them again later.

Looking good for Flux atm I have to say - though might see if Brentacre could match them as i'd rather just stick with who I am for the convenience of it all.

Howmany No claims you got? - quite a few if i remember correct.

try all usual suspects: Norwich Union, Tesco , etc.

Dont forget to add the parents !!

yup, adding an older female driver will knock off a chunk for you, even if they never drive the car! :| I've just added my girlfriend (who's older than me) onto my new G60 and it knocked off the £50 administration charge, so I can't wait to see what my renewal will be! :D 8)

Howmany No claims you got? - quite a few if i remember correct.

try all usual suspects: Norwich Union, Tesco , etc.

Dont forget to add the parents !!

4 years no claims.

I tried out Tesco / Direct Line (use the same pricing system so end up costing the same) but not only do they dislike mods they are already more expensive before adding mods.

Might try Norwich Union but their adverts alone make me want to just stay away from them.. I wanna just call em up and say "Hi, Yeah! I drive a green car and I want you to quote me happy!"

Muppets ;)

Hmm, sounds like my mum might be getting named on my next policy then - I need all the help I can get to make it cheaper :?

And yeah I know what you mean about those Norwich Union ads. Apart from missing out the 45 minute description of what car you have, how old it is, how many miles you cover, your name, address, dob, previous convictions, accident history, number of years you've had your license, pet cat's name, if you like dogs, how far your hairline has receeded recently, etc... They also completely missed the point that nobody likes paying for car insurance. I don't really care how cheap it us, because unless it's free then you won't be making me jump up and down and run round the room cheering.

Muppets ;) :lol:

I don't really care how cheap it us, because unless it's free then you won't be making me jump up and down and run round the room cheering.

Muppets ;) :lol:

Hahaha.. bloody right on mate.

Hmm, sounds like my mum might be getting named on my next policy then - I need all the help I can get to make it cheaper

Yeah, I've actually got your mum on my policy too! :D

Oooh, just asked the elephant and putting my mum on the policy reduces it by £163!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: 8)

Elephant wouldn't quote me. Went through their modifications checklist after dilligently filling everything else in only to be told that they don't want my business.

Owning a modified car is fricking annoying sometimes.

Elephant wouldn't quote me. Went through their modifications checklist after dilligently filling everything else in only to be told that they don't want my business.

Owning a modified car is fricking annoying sometimes.

Yeah they refuse to insure you if you've got anything any more extreme than some alloys. But they're the only place that seem to come up with a sensible number for me.

I tried egg's new insurance quote and it came up with £1,650 for a Mk3 GTi 8v!!! :shock:

It's still £650 with elephant tho...

Considering your unfortunate past, I wouldn't say thats too bad mate.

*edit*

Oh - I didnt see the 1 at the start of that 3 figure quote! Oops!

Well even with a clean sheet it was £1k for the VR C...

The problem was, I'd been insured in my dad's name up til I bought the C, because it was quite considerably cheaper. It did mean that I ended up with 0yrs NCB, which when going out and buying a VR is a bit um painful.

So yeah, £650 for a Mk3 is actually a veritable bargain going by my history over the last year and that I'm only 22....