Sign in to follow this  
Ollienorth

Cold Air Induction - VR6

I've got one on my rado and it sounds awesome. It was one of the first things i did on my rado and i would not go back. Bought it from the US as it was cheaper. Get one mate its worth it.

How noisy is the BMC anyway? I've been toying with the idea of one ever since they came out but I don't want a lot of induction roar - I had a PiperCross cone on for a while and found it just too noisy and not in keeping with the nature of the car.

I'd recomend a BMC CDA. Its not to noisy, alot quiter than an open filter but still sounds sweet over 4k.

And should gain you a few extra horses! ( 7bhp as tested on stealths rr I believe)

Has Vince worked out how to connect up the cold air feed pipe on the BMC CDA yet?

Last time I talked to him (which was admittedly a few years ago) he wasn't fitting it due to space & routing issues.

Has Vince worked out how to connect up the cold air feed pipe on the BMC CDA yet?

Last time I talked to him (which was admittedly a few years ago) he wasn't fitting it due to space & routing issues.

I relocated the carbon canister to run an airfeed down into the wheel arch. No engine bay heat , Works fine! I can get some pics on the weekend if you like?

The Carbonio is well rated. I have a turn 2 , which is a similar design, but polished metal. You run the tube to the hole where the carbon canister was. You may lose a bit of low end torque due to decreased air velocity, but when you get on it, it screams.

Another vote for the BMC, with a cold air feed its only a little louder than standard, difference is the sound changes from the muted muffled note to a fantastic growl.

I didn't bother with relocating the CC to run the cold air feed, i just carefully twisted and cut the pipe to fit in behind the headlight. The air feed even that small amount quietens down the BMC and introduces a better low end pick up, when compared to running it without.

Another vote for the BMC, with a cold air feed its only a little louder than standard, difference is the sound changes from the muted muffled note to a fantastic growl.

I didn't bother with relocating the CC to run the cold air feed, i just carefully twisted and cut the pipe to fit in behind the headlight. The air feed even that small amount quietens down the BMC and introduces a better low end pick up, when compared to running it without.

Interesting. Depending on where in Hampshire you are, I'd be really interested in seeing / hearing that.

Anyone in the central belt of Scotland got a BMC fitted? I wouldn't mind having a listen.

When I bought my car, it had an ITG cone on it which was far too loud for my tastes! If this is just a little louder than standard, I might be swayed!

When i grilled him about it he said it doesn't make any difference.

When i grilled him about it he said it doesn't make any difference.

Probably no difference on power, but I understand it makes a difference on noise.

I'm looking for it to be as quiet as possible. I've "been there, done that" on induction roar and it doesn't do anything for me.

...then I wouldn't bother.

I think it's easy to be impressed by the performance boost *subjectively*, because hey it's making a big noise. Psychologically it's not hard to see how this translates to a perception of "snappier" acceleration.

If you like the noise. (I do, sometimes.) Go for it. But if you're hoping for performance fluctuation greater than what you'd see in a normal day's driving due to engine temperature changes and air temp changes then I suspect you'd be disappointed...

I must confess, when I took my Pipercross off and reverted to the standard airbox I didn't notice much of a drop in acceleration or response.

Having said that, there is a certain "something" about the concept of a carbon fibre airbox. ;) :D

I'm not so sure about that Carbonio intake - it increases the track length of the inlet air. From experience, increasing the track length gives better low rpm torque but chokes top-end.

I've been planning on developing an induction kit for both the G60 and VR6 guys, incorporating a complete solution from heat sheild (a proper thermal barrier - non of this flimsy shiny Alu rubbish) to venturi effect inlet and cold air feed. I have G60's to work on but not a VR6 - maybe one of you guys could help out :)

If at the end of the development, the system gives no proven gain then I will NOT sell it :!: I like you guys have had enough of all the bogus induction kits on the market, don't need another :roll:

ahh, the mythical Heat Shield.

There have been a number of peeps on here trying to develop/fabricate a heat shield, but nothing (to my knowledge) has ever come to the final stage.

fingers crossed for it though, I'm currently trying to source some pipe work to get the cold air through the CC hole, its difficult/expensive to get that diameter of pipe bent though.

Yep, heat sheilds have almost always been fabricated with NO knowledge of thermodynamics! :(

Most heat sheilds i've seen have just been an aesthetic aid rather than a functional thermal barrier.

Hopefully my experience of working as an engineer in the electronics cooling industry will enable me to design a proper heat shield by calculating the heat transfer mechanism in the engine bay.

I can only try 8)