Sign in to follow this  
Shilakadaddy

G60 Brakes?

I think I need to change my disks and pads because they suck!

I think my disks are low, as they have quite a lip on them, and as I said they don't stop me very well.. so I think a change is in order.

Don't wanna do a conversion as I don't think I can afford it (although how much are bigger disk conversions :twisted: ) So really I'm just wanting to know the best disks and pads to get... how do you guys rate Mintex pads? because I can hopefully get some of those really cheap :)

Cheers, Chris

Mintex ones seem to get good reviews from people.

The VAG steel/Pagid FR combo does wonders too :)

i had zimmerman drilled disks and pagid fast road pads on before and they worked really really well together

I'd always used Mintex 1144s (C-Tech) pads with standard disks until I got my Brembo brake conversion. I found that the C-tech pads with genuine disks, DOT5.1 fluid and braded hoses made for a superb brake setup, although the mintex pads don't half shed some dust onto your wheels... :|

my wheels are already knackered from brake dust... the guy I bought it off said that he used some really abrasive pads and didn't clean the dust off for a while, and now I can't remove it at all!

With the mintex pads, basically my flatmate knows a guy who works in the mintex factory who gets them cheap anyway, but sometimes can get them for free by writing them off as damaged etc. So I'll go for those if I can get them for next to nothing.

And for disks, just the OE ones? What about of Black Diamond combi's?

TBH I nothing about brakes, never changed from the standard setup, so I'm just looking at the popular / well known brands...

Thought I'd revive this instead of starting a new thread... I can't believe its taken me this long to get my brakes sorted, but I'm now about to order new disks and pads!

I'm going for the simple OEM disks and Pagid FR pads (my mintex connection didn't work out :( ) what I'm wanting to know is if the disks from GSF are as good as from VW? Also does anyone know if I would be likely to have Pad Wear Indicators on my pads? - '91 G60 ??... I've never noticed a pad wear light, or function on the MFA (just looking on the GSF website, and theres options for with pad wear indicators, or without)

Cheers, Chris

if you're going to GSF, get the brembo OE disks... IIRC they're on offer this week too... 8)

The pad wear indicator turns on the handbrake warning light (which is actually used for handbrake, pads low and fluid low warnings!)... quickest way of telling if you've got 'em or not is to look behind the wheel and see if there's any wiring there... if you have ABS you're looking for 2 sets of cables behind the wheel + the brake flexy, if not, you're only looking for a single cable and flexy. If there's just a flexy, you've not got brake wear sensors or ABS... 8)

Even if you DO have wear indicators, you can still use normal pads, you just won't get a warning when your pads are getting low... ;)

Cheers Henny, I'll have a look...

On the GSF site I can only see Brembo options for the 16V and VR6, and on the actual 'Brembo Offers' link, there's no mension of the corrado :( Am I better off going to VW for the disks then?

phone 'em... Personally, I think their website sucks ;) :lol:

Yeah your right :lol: phoned them up and now have a full set of Brembo disks and full set of Pagid FR pads on there way to me

Thanks for your help :)