Sign in to follow this  
Timo.

1 Hydraulic'd Subaru

That's what my sister has been left with after the weekend. She had just left my house with the explicit instructions for both my father and me not to go through water that was over 1 foot deep.....

She failed and killed the Preza. By the time I got there it had be pushed out to the other side of the lake!! that used to be a road. I was picked up by a land rover to get across to the other side. Another 6" of water and the land rover would have not made it. That's how deep it was!!!! :shock:

Got to the car opened up the airbox and squeezed out the air filter (it was like ringing out a sponge). Then proceeded to have a go at my sister who then burst into tears :cry: . Whoopes :oops:

Nevermind, in the hands of the insurance company and she is now running around in my Polo so I have to use the corrado going to work now :(

Timo.

P.S. The car had 2" of water in the foots wells too!!! She crazy! :twisted:

Has it definately hydraulic'd, or has the electrics just gotten soggy and given up?

A mate of mine bought an Audi A6 estate (top of the line jobbie) which HAD hydraulic'd and showed me the internals of the engine... not pretty... :|

Hope you get it sorted out with the minimum of fuss... 8)

if a cars been flood damaged i heard that they write it off pretty easily because of the argument that if something goes wrong in the future then it can be blamed on the water.... free repairs for ever on the insurance!!!

also what does hydraulic`d mean??

Henny, Mate there was water coming out the exhaust, engine was totally seized.

dr_mat, The insurance companys can be a bit dodgy when it comes to things like this!! Glad it wasn't me!

benji16v, Water goes into combustion chambers, water dont compress like fuel, it barely compresses at all. Bye, bye conrods etc.

FOrtunately she was only idling the engine at the time and the old boxer engine is pretty strong so who knows!!!

She's hoping they write it off, she's just been trying to trade it in for a Mini Cooper cos of the fuel comsumption of the preza turbo

T.

ouch that sounds v.nasty, prolly would be better off being a W.Off (apart from the increased insurance side of things) wouldn`t wanna deal with the repercussions of that in the future!

Its the second claim (big) that she's had on that policy too. The insurance company must be crying their eyes out. She ended up going through a hedge down a hill and into a wood the first time after avoiding white van man in middle of blind bend!!! That was the day I got into the Police too so it kinda put a damper on celebrations.

Still she walked away and that in my opinion is all that matters.

T.

Henny, Mate there was water coming out the exhaust, engine was totally seized.

Ow... :shock: not a good sign... :|

Anyway, hope it all gets sorted out for you... 8)

Well the recovery place that the car is currently at, has been having a wee tinker with it. They have taken out the plugs to dry out the engine and have cranked the engine manually so it sounds quite promising. They are gonna get it spark up in the next few days to see if its alright. She's a lucky girl!!! A testiment to how strong subaru engines are I think!!! As long as it works, obviously!!

Timo.

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!

I have my Polo back!!!!! whoopeeeee :) :) :)

The guys from the recover place have told her to get rid of it quick as they reckon some serious damage may have been done. Seems to be ok though. She's getting a Mini next weekend so she has a week to dry out the carpets in the car!!

T.

The guys from the recover place have told her to get rid of it quick as they reckon some serious damage may have been done. Seems to be ok though. She's getting a Mini next weekend so she has a week to dry out the carpets in the car!!

T.

I hope she's not just going to punt it on to some poor unsuspecting buyer ....

So what do you suggest they do then? Have the engine rebuilt "just in case" when it appears to be working fine?

Gotta be realistic here... :)

At least if a dealer gets it and sells it then the new owner will have some sort of warranty but they may just send it to auction if its over 5 years old...

Shouldn't it be registered tho as being flood damaged?

There's nothing wrong with it!

Really though, they are tough old machines....

dr_mat, exactly mate!! Lets strip the engine down and makes sure everythings alright! I'll pay for that (NNNoooottttt!!), damn fecking sure the insurance company wont! They'll be the happy insurance company in Britain today as my sister has just cancelled any claim.

T.

Nowt wrong with it, but the mechanics say to get rid of pretty damn quick. Ok.

Water coming out of the exhaust. If there's nothing wrong with it, then why not sell it privately and tell any potential buyers what happened. I'm sure they'll realise there's nothing to worry about.

Or you could let a dealer sell it on and let it potentially cost someone else thousands of pounds, rather than you.

My sister had a mint '99 Subaru Impreza RB5 that she treated like crap too...brought a tear to my eye. I couldn't justify £18k for a car to start with let alone treat it like a shed afterwards *sob*

They are quite hard to sell privately.

Can everyone get off my back, its not my fecking car and I aint selling it!!

I recon dealers get what they deserve in my opinion, I have no sympathy for them!! Rip off mechants, getting a taste of their own medicine!!

T.