Sign in to follow this  
kerrinmay

Full Closure

Don't know if this has been covered before, but is it an easy task to link my alarm/central locking remote to activate the closure of the windows?

I've been thinking about it for a while and remember reading on here some time ago about how if you hold the key in the lock it closes the windows, and finally got around to trying it this morning and it works! I'm now therefore quite keen to see if I can get this linked up to work with my remote.

Any ideas?

If your alarm currently controls the central locking.

It's just a matter of getting the "locking pulse" extended to simulate you holding the key in the lock position for a few seconds.

I'm sure one of our alarm experts will be able to advise how/where this can be done.

On G60's and 1.8 16v's the "total closure" only works for the windows.

On later models it closes the sunroof too.

Yeah, my alarm does currently control the central locking. You mention about closing the sunroof as well? I've got a 2.0 16v but it is an early one with the old interior, and thought I'd read somewhere earlier that the closure of sunroof was only added in a bit later on. Can someone please advise me of this? I guess I can always try it out myself with the sunroof open and the key held in the door. Out of interest, in what order should everything close? I know the passengers window closes before the drivers one, but when should the sunroof close?

Passenger Window

Driver's window

Sunroof

Your car sounds like a changeover model, so may not have full closure including sunrrof.

My previous car had full closure but the windows often used to take it in turns not to close which was really frustrating as you couldn't rely on it, so would be nice to get it working on my C.

The easiest way to check is to open windows and sunroof then turn and hold the key and wait to see what closes... what alarm have you got?

hmmm... you may find that it doesn't offer the full closure feature. As Mike said, some alarms will alow you to extend the length of time the "lock" signal is sent to the C/L brain which effectively causes it to do the same thing as you holding the key in the lock position i.e. close the windows etc.

My alarm is a Sigma and you are able to program it to send the "lock" signal for a specified amout of time which eneables you to use the full closure. Best thing to do would be to take it down to your local freindly Alarm fitters and see if they know anything about your system.

I use Ian Bannings in Guildford and they have always been very helpfull and willing to explain things clearly and demonstrate how it all works.

hope that helps a bit

Give them a call first to see if they know anything... there's a guy called Martin down there who did me a good deal when I had the old alarm removed and the new one fitted - he should remember me (we used to work together)

Good luck

I checked last night and the sunroof definately doesn't close with the closure thing. Is it possible to put a later control module in or something to get it to work? Or is it not that simple?

sounds like it "should" be that simple... I'd call vw and pick their brains or find someone with ETKA and see if there's any difference between the part numbers/diagrams,,,