Sign in to follow this  
dav

VR Cutting Out

Hello chaps

I have a bit of a problem with my VR, It has started to cut out on a regular basis under all conditions. It is actually beginning to get a bit dangerous now, as it happened the other day while driving down a dual carriage way and a nutter almost slammed in to the back of me.

I have had it on a Diagnostic device (Snap-on) and it showed no errors, I thought the ECU was supposed to log all faults?

I thought that it would be the engine speed sensor, but I am now beginning / hoping to think that it may be a relay of some sorts.

Should I get it re-checked on a proper VAG-COM or is that Snap-on tool just as good.

Help Needed.

Thanks

Dav

Most likely immobiliser, the ignition switch, or ignition relays, based on evidence of previous posts.

Thnaks dr_mat,

How many relays are ther that could cause this kind of problem?

D.

The motor has cut out four times this morning and twice yesterday on the way home.

Yesterday was dangerous as it cut out right on top of a flyover and, caused a load of trouble traffic wise.

Anyway I changed the fuel pump relay on Saturday I know that the Fuel pump relay is not at fault as after I swapped this over I took drive a and it cut out after 5 minutes.

On Sunday and gave the car a good going over i.e. I checked the plugs - all were ok, found a small rocker gasket leak around plug number 1 nothing major though. Cleaned the ISV and Throttle body and checked over the HT leads and the dizzy. And finished off with an ECU Reset, took the car for a drive and it all seem cool until yesterday night and this morning.

When it does cut out it happens all of sudden the power seems to just fade away. The revs slowly die and even if I try to put my foot on the accelerator to pick the revs up I get know action and it continues to die.

Could it be the dizzy, could it be the engine speed sensor, could it be the ECU relay. I don’t know.

I know that Carrado owner ship is often a love hate relationship, but this might just end in divorce!!

Thanks in advance for any help

Dav.

The ECU relay is quite a common cause apparently. On mine it was a bodged solder joint where the immobiliser interrupts the main feed to the ECU. Intermittently opening circuit and doing pretty much what you describe.

The same Snap-On diagnostics didn't pick it up because turning the power off to the ECU isn't a logged fault. VW found that for me. Maybe bypassing the immobiliser would tell you one way or the other. Nightmare of wires behind the fuse box though, not sure how easy that would be. Or running +12v straight to the ECU supply wire if anyone knows which one that is.

The ECU relay is quite a common cause apparently. On mine it was a bodged solder joint where the immobiliser interrupts the main feed to the ECU. Intermittently opening circuit and doing pretty much what you describe.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there - for me at least. For the past 2 years mine's been hunting at 2000rpm, cutting out (not regularly but dies at junctions occasionally) and has had a general "Good day / bad day" feeling to performance. Everything electrical has been replaced on the engine, including the ISV.....

Then I started to think about what you've mentioned... dodgy feckin alarm installs. I am in the near future getting my heap of junk clifford ripped out and the wiring completely returned back to stock. And then an ultra-reliable Autowatch alarm will be professionally installed with me supervising!!

I'll drive the car after the alarm has been pulled out and see if matters improve!

My VR is still cutting out, don’t drive it any more I only do when testing the changes that I have made. So far I have changed the Temp sensor, Fuel Pump relay, ECU relay and the Idle Control valve.

This morning I picked up a brand new Lambda Probe From VAG, which cost me £55.

Hopefully this will cure it, if it don’t I hope it will sort my poor MPG issue about which I described in a previous post.

Is anything that I need to be aware of when replacing this part or is it as straight forward as it looks….

Will have it VAGCOM'd on Saturday morning either way, but suspect it wont show any error codes as it didn’t the last time I had it checked.

Thanks

D.

You could also try disconnecting the intake temp sensor (black plug on intake manifold next to brake servo inlet - above the bank of temp senders) and see if it drives any differently and stops cutting out.

Replacing the O2 probe is quite straight forward. Need to jack the car up on drivers side to get enough room. Be careful not to twist the wires round on themselves as is space is tight between the exhaust and chassis rail.

I've only just got mine, but i've already noticed that it hunts at 2-3000

on a light throttle and its cut out twice in the week i've been driving it. Only coming up to stop at junctions though. Also been taking the nagging mates out in it one at a time as one has too, and thought mine was really weak on one day. Put it down to air density blah blah blah but it felt like a big drop!? Seems fine today again though.

Trying not to think about it until i finish paying for the car though. Electrical probs i hate, rather the engine blew in half, well sort of......

Well changed the Lambda probe last night and took it out for a drive, and it still cut out on me…

Now when I tried to restart it would just turn over but not catch, and when it did catch it would for a brief moment and then die, if it did hold the revs would just rise and fall for a while.

Sometimes if I tried to steady the rev's by pressing the accelerator a touch it would cut out and sometimes it wont?

It would also seem to run really ruff and weak for a while, and then when it sort of cleared its throat it would run fine…it really is beginning to do my head in now I feel like doing a “Monty Python” it

Kev I also tried to run it without the Black air temp sensor connected, and it just seems to run a little rough and does not rev as nice as it normally would, is the right result/

D.

I haven’t but I believe it was done a while ago

It might be a worth a try, I would try anything to get it running right.

Just thinkin its cheap and easy and could couse them sort of problems.

Failing that I would get it on vag com as soon as, but dont do any more ECU resets until you do or I think you will clear your problems.