Sign in to follow this  
bazgreener

headlight adjustment

Hi all,

is there anyway of adjusting the alignment of the headlights in relation to the grille? The gap between the edge of the headlights and the grille isn`t parallel and i can`t see anyway of adjusting this as the headlights are screwed directly to the slam panel. Any help appreciated.

thanks

Barrie

The bottom tab on the slam panel that secures the headlight can sometimes bend causing misalignment. I had to fiddle with this on mine to get the lights lined up but it only did it on the driver's side. It's fine now.

Kev

94 Vr6

Sorry to being an old topic back but made more sense than a new one!!

My drivers side headlight is sitting below the level it should be, is this common? How easy or hard is it to rectify? I am off for once this weekend so weather permitting I hope to tackle a few issues with the Rado!!

I will try and get a picture tomorrow at work and upload it...

Lee

Sorry to being an old topic back but made more sense than a new one!!

My drivers side headlight is sitting below the level it should be, is this common? How easy or hard is it to rectify? I am off for once this weekend so weather permitting I hope to tackle a few issues with the Rado!!

I will try and get a picture tomorrow at work and upload it...

Lee

If the actual headlight body's misaligned, it sounds like what Cheesewire's saying. There's a third mounting screw that's buried down behind the other two, you can see it down a hole. The tab it locates in can bend quite easily, which might put it out of kilter. Should be just a case of popping the headlight out, checking that the tab is horizontal and then putting it back again. The insert the screw locates in fell out of mine, ended up replacing it with a plastic dust cap from a bicycle air valve, a Presta one. With the grille off, I think, you can get a hand down there and support the tab with a finger as you tighten the screw up :-)

If the beam's wrong, there are adjusters on the back of the headlight in the shape of knurled white plastic wheels, from memory I think the height adjuster's the one nearest the wing, but I might be talking arse there, so best check.

hi

mine was like that it was the bottom tab bent , its a load of rubbish and easily bent , and yes the outside adjust nearest the inner wing is the up and down adjuster not that this is your problem :)

Lee - it looks like it's been hit and pushed back, as Kev says the locators for the plastic tabs bend, they should be at roughly a right-angle to the slam panel, the other bit that bends too easily is the tab where the third screw locates, Corrado's really are the worst VW's for the way the headlights locate!!

You need to whip the light unit out and have a look, new stainless steel self tappers are also a good idea - No. 10 by 16mm for the top two and 25mm for the middle iirc.