Sign in to follow this  
daveh

More ABS troubles!!

Howdy all,

After finding out on here how to remove my abs controller (thanks guys :wink: ), I went ahead and had a look at mine.

The contacts were very 'blue' and corroded. Probably from the leaky screen (new one just fitted) and the leaky air inlet chamber gasket (above the cabin fan, repaired). Now as the car is deffinately dry, thought I would worry about the abs light.

I have some electrical contact cleaner from Maplin, but that hasn't cured the light. I also have a 'new' (certainly appears unused) controller from eBay. Again, fitted that and the light is still on.

When I was playing about with the second controller, I may have plugged it in and removed it with the ignition on :oops: . Would this have damaged it in any way??

I also wondered if there was anything (ECU etc) that needed resetting to maybe cure the problem?

Any help gratefully received!

have you cleaned the wiring plug as well as the one on the ECU?

Unplugging the ECU while the power is connected shouldn't blow it up unless you shorted something while doing it (difficult and unlikely) 8)

have you cleaned the wiring plug as well as the one on the ECU?

Sorry, not quite sure which part you're on about. I've sprayed contact cleaner onto both parts (male and female) where the abs controller plugs into the loom (passenger foot-well). I then plugged and unplugged it a few times to try and clean the contacts. Left it a few hours to dry and then plugged it in and turned the key - light still on :cry: .

In other words, I've only cleaned the multi-point connector to the abs controller - if that makes sense??

yup, that's what I was asking... 8) (sorry if it didn't make sense, I've been up since 3 this morning and have had less than 12hours sleep in the last 4 days... :| )

In that case you need to get hold of someone with VAG-COM to plug it into your car and find out what the error code the ABS brain is giving out means as it could be anything electrical now... :?

How do you get to the plug in the passenger footwell?

To get to the abs controller, just remove the 4 or 5 screws that hold the shelf in below the glovebox. Screws located along the front edge and down the transmission tunnel. Pull firmly, and this shelf will come out. The cover just in front of the passenger door, on the left hand side of the passenger footwell is held in by two screws. Remove these and the cover and the abs controller is held in by a bracket and three fixtures. Plug located on top of controller. Job done :wink: .

.... it could be anything electrical now...

Thats what I was afraid off!

I also noticed that when I re-fitted the controller I forgot the black plastic cover that goes over the plug/socket.

I don't suppose this could have anything to do with the light, could it??

daveh, cheers bud.

:oops: Forgot to mention that the lower shelf is also held in by a large trim fixing in the passenger footwell. You'll need a largish flat bladed screw-driver.......Sorry!

Couldn't get either the new or original abs controller to 'boot up' after cleaning the contacts again. Decided to put the car back together (with the old contoller) as I was fed up with drving around without the trim, and the MOT isn't until May.

Had a long trip today - 210 miles - on the return leg the abs light was off. Since then I've started the car 3 times and each time the light goes out!

I know this is the sixty-four thousand dollar question, but does this mean I've fixed the problem? Just wondered if others have had the same experiences, and if so, did the light come back.

Thanks.

Daveh, I had some problems with my ABS a little while ago. The light had been on (all be it disconnected) since I bought the car in March. I wanted it sorted for the MOT and for my own piece of mind. Turns out that one of the previous owners, in lowering the car, had managed to re-route the ABS cables in a way that meant they got caught on various bits of the suspension every so often, hence knackered ABS loom. To make matters worse, someone had tried to fix it without reallly knowing what they were doing, thereby making matters worse as my mechanic couldn't get VAG-COM to read the fault codes. Anyway, eventually he sorted it, reconnected the warning light and all was good, only for the warning light to come back on again during some, er, slightly enthusiastic driving. :oops:

On the 16v, the ecu doesn't remember any fault codes, so a brief "blip" in the ABS system will cause the ABS light to come on, and remain on for the rest of your journey. Turn the engine off, then on again, and all is back to normal. This makes me think that my problem is just a loose connection somewhere.

Not sure if this helps you at all, but hey, now you know! :D