Sign in to follow this  
CoxyLaad

Rough Running VR

Hi,

Its a strange one, when its up to operating temp, it seems to develop a low down part throttle misfire, and the tick over tends to pop and miss.

What are the simptoms of the blue temp sensder going tits up?

I have had Vagcom on it and it didnt bring anything up.

would a faulty temp sender register on vagcom?

I know a lambda would

yes it did, it said the idle stabilisation limits had been exceeded.

clean out the throttle body, intake boot and ISV with carb cleaner.

Yup, idle limits not reached means you've either got a whacking great hole in the inlet manifold or your ISV is buggered.

didnt think the isv error would have anything to do with it....

Its weird, it runs great when its cold and warming up. as soon as its up to temp its dead fluffy and missy below 2000rpm.

oh and I have warped the front discs.... :roll:

If the ISV is stuck OPEN then it'll run shite on part throttle, because there's unmetered air getting into the system.

Its weird, it runs great when its cold and warming up. as soon as its up to temp its dead fluffy and missy below 2000rpm.

oh and I have warped the front discs.... :roll:

Join the club!

Seems the 24V is afflicted with the same idling and part throttle running probs as the 12V then? Strange though as I've been in a couple of 4Motions and they've been nothing but creamy smooth at all revs.

Anyway, yep, as Dr Prat has quite rightly stated, the ISV can affect the way the engine runs, as odd as that may sound. Seems to me they bind closed occasionally (when they should be open) due to the massive heat soak they absorb from the manifold.

Actually, yours is 24V yeah? In which case I thought they were OBD2 and didn't use an ISV as per OBD2 Golf VR6s? Or have you amalgamated 12V/24V stuff to get it running?

Well I took the ISV off and give it a good clean, mind you its wasnt particularly dirty, put it all back together......no different.

I can hear the isv a bit more now though.

I thought it was fixed but as soon as it got up to temperature it started popping and missing a beat on tick over.

Its got me stumped, if it were an ignition problem then surely it would show up under load? but it goes like a train, and is as smooth as silk, its just when its hot and at low revs, low throttle.

See I thought it might have been the ecu engine temp sender becuase its fine when cold, but when it gets up to temp, I think (in my head) that the temp sender is still telling the ecu the engine is cold and therefore it is running on its startup map, and over fuelling, causing popping spluttering and 24mpg running.....

Does that make sense? or am I talking out of me big hairy ass?

You can try the blue temp sender but I doubt it will make much difference. You'd know when that is dead as it will run like a pig. Still, it's cheap enough to experiment with.

It might be your MAF sensor if you're only getting 24mpg.

He means the sensor next to the servo hose input, next to cylinder 6's inlet runner :D

Hadn't thought about that so it's a good call, although VAG-COM and a laptop on the move will confirm if that's working or not.