Sign in to follow this  
Scott16v

Change from 2L 16v to VR6?

Hi Guys,

I curently have a 1993 k reg 2L 16v corrado which I do love, but its not a VR6. When i bought my C last summer i decided against the VR as i assumed it would just drink the fuel and be generally be more expensive than a 2L.

I curently drive about 45miles a day and get average MPG of 36 ish. I am just looking for some info on the VR6's running cost compared with mine?

Thanks for reading

Scott

There are people on here who do something similar I think. Though a search on 'which AND corrado' or something to that effect will give you more information than this post would tbh :)

Hey Scott,

I've had a VR6 since July - previously owned a 2.0l 16v for a year. The VR is amazing and I always hated the way people only seemed interested in Corrados if they were VR6s. The sound is amazing - as is the power and you will be able to handle it - my VR is very drivable (actually easier to drive than the valver) at low revs and amazing at speed. However - I didn't think the fuel consumption would cost me that much more. But it does! I'm spending a fortune - I work locally so don't do many miles but £20 in the valver lasted me 2 weeks but it only last a week in the VR. Might be due to how much I hammer it though.

It will cost you more and it is worth it but I'm super skint right now and driving a car that some people don't even realise isn't my old valver.

I'd say go for it if you have a bit of disposable income.

Thanks for you advice mate confirmed exactly what i thought, I have heard that alot of money has to spent on the VR6 engine at 100k? is it therefore best to buy one past the 100k mark with all the work already done?

What kind of roads do you drive on?

Half motorway half 30/40 limits. With current petrol cost 300 miles costs me about £30 which is not too bad?

Work needs done when it needs done really. I don't see the point in having the chains, plugs and other stuff replaced when they're working fine with no signs of trouble. Some people always complain about having to spend a fortune but half of the time it seems unwarranted. Change your oil regular, check everythings cool and address any problems as they appear. My mate VR6Paul had a VR for 2yrs and it passed two MOTs with no probs and all he did was regularly change the oil and it clocked 210bhp at Star's Rolling Road day and always ran like a dream.

I had a 92 2l 16v and loved it but was always a tad dissapointed with the performance- it didnt seem to go much better then my scirroco GT2.

So I test drove a VR6 at Autotek. WOW. This was 3 years ago when they had some very low mileage examples. It was quiet , refined and burbled away nicely. So I bought my Storm from them. You can when in a relaxed mood almost drive it like an automatic , it will pull in 5th from about 35. Drop it to 3rd and off it flys. And I can get 31 or 32 on a long trip.

the extra performance and refinement do outweigh the increase in cost/ running IMO although I do like the valver. what rpm where you doing at 35 in 5th then? Is it safe to go under 1,500?

Safe ish, there's not a great deal of torque down there, so you're unlikely to do major damage, but it's better not to labour the engine like that, on the whole. Change down to 4th, it's much happier with a bit more mechanical advantage if you're around the 30mph margin...

I dont let the engine labour! My point is its got a heck of a lot of torque and is more relaxing to drive than a 16v. Alough dont get me wrong I enjoyed my 16v Corrado, you just have to rev it a lot more. The G60 being different again with a punch of accelleration as soon as you touch the peddle.