Sign in to follow this  
MNuTz

G60 vs Civic Type R

Lo all,

Here's the deal: Mate at work has to be the best at everything, ive just put up with it until now but when i got my G60 he knew his little 1.6 purple Fiesta Zetec was going to take a kicking. To better me he's decided to go out and buy a Type-R (200BHP). Now he keeps telling me how all C's are pants and how he's going to thrash me.

I want to turn my basic 160BHP G60 into a Type-R eating monster.

Question is how?

What would you do??

PS, Im not modding car to beat him, i was going to do it anyway but this is a good reason to get it done sooner :D Ive got until summer when we're going for a track day!

Should be able to see of Type R's with not too much money thrown at your G60, and no serious engine work required.

If your 'mate' is so lame that he has to spend £16k on a new car just to ridicule a 13 year old £3000 VW then there is something wrong with him.. but do the mods that Supercharged has said and you'll be laughing at him as he wrings every last drop of power out of his motor to keep up with you.

Also worth looking at is a larger front mount intercooler - 'elps your G breathe more easily :)

completely agree wiv wots been said. All I did was slap on a 65mm pully and a chip, and I now eat Rice ;) (pardon the pun)

I had a burn up with 1 of these the otherday.saw him in rear view mirror gainin on me and as he came out to go round me i booted it! side by side till the end of third gear and he just got past me as i went into fourth.Dont think he expected much of a challenge and alltough he beat me,it was funny seeing his face when he was along side,there was a sign of panic for a moment!

Lo all,

I want to turn my basic 160BHP G60 into a Type-R eating monster.

!

You might be surprised what your car will put out mines done well over that every time its been on the rollers(3 times now). As for the intercooler do it on a cold day :D not a penny spent ;)

I've also had same problem with fella in work - boasting his Cavaliar SRi (Red Top!) will do my standard 94' VR6 no prob - as he puts it " mine eats Type R's so u've no chance". Being quite a bit older and mature , I tend to ignore the comments as hes know to be a complete pr*ck anyway! I didn't buy my C to go racing boyracers anyway but I am quite surprised the number of people (well kids!) that slate the VR's performance and have heard "their crap" a few times now - i tend to reply "look at the TopGear review mate" and numerous mag articles. :agrue:

also if your gonna have him on the track, if this is a drag, then it's easy type R's are crap at straight line racing, seen modded ones only pulling 16's at pod, also seen on other forums slating them aswell, quick on corners as they have the rev's to play with though!!

if you drive the Vtec properly, in the power band it will see off a standard G60, My mate in the UK has one and its fast as hell. but most people dont realise you need to keep changing gear to keep the revs up in them and to keep the power down.

Mod your G60 and your in for a good time, the g60 is very torquey,

My advise is see G-werks for some serious engine checking and G60 tuning, remember to check the engine over before moding, no point in moding a bad engine

look at my avartar, it says it all. I have new intercooler piping, 65mm pulley, fully custom ECU, ISV reroute, spark plug wires, just the basics, but type R stays about 4 car lengths behind. also watch out for their third gear once they hit VTEC they pull quite a bit, friend of mine has a GSR, I race him every day kick his ass every time, but third gear you see him gain about a car length on you.

.. also watch out for their third gear once they hit VTEC they pull quite a bit, friend of mine has a GSR, I race him every day kick his ass every time, but third gear you see him gain about a car length on you...

Yes I noticed this on a track day once. The poor VR didn't know what had hit it.. :) But hey, my VR was *cooler* than his Civic was ever going to be, so I wasn't fussed. :)

It was comedy classic though, I'd be gaining through the revs in third at the start of the straight on him, absolutely reeling him in, overtake at the top of third and change up, and then he'd suddenly get into his power band (he should have changed down, muppet), and he'd reel me back in and wander off gently into the distance..

All that what?

I didn't stop the guy and ask him, so I couldn't tell ya whether he had the smooth cam or the wild cam model...

I meant in general are we talking the old classic type-r or the new fluffy one? the new ones arent meant to be a patch on the old EK type-rs.

Civic_Type_R.jpg

They modified the cam change-over, apparently, in an effort to make it less of a night/day thing. Some people claim it's taken away the engine's "edge", but frankly the figures indicate that the new engine is no less powerful than the old, so it's one of those perception things most likely.

It's part of the "NVH" noise vibration and harshness work they did on the car. The old one was noisy as buggery at high revs/high speed.

The old one was noisy as buggery at high revs/high speed.

Certainly was. I drove a 52 plate Type-R which was the old one and when the aggressive cams kicked in, the only thing I could detect that was different to the milder cam was more noise and vibration. No real boost in acceleration to speak of. The engine on the whole is very rough and unrefined. I couldn't live it and I certainly couldn't be bothered to check the oil on a weekly basis either.

isnt it about now where someone from the Type R forum spies this thread and copies the link to it over there?

Got me tin hat on, and I am ready for another interforum war lol

isnt it about now where someone from the Type R forum spies this thread and copies the link to it over there?

Got me tin hat on, and I am ready for another interforum war lol

Do people really go round other forums looking for flame wars? That's really sad!

Remember that TT war caused by some piece of knob cheese that sold his Corrado for a TT - but still frequented the forum - and posted a link to his new best friends because we were slagging TTs? Sad, sad, sad.....

It will be nipped in the bud VERY quickly if it happens again.