Sign in to follow this  
Jonny Chee

How do I know when my supercharger is dead?

Well - if the charger is shagged you could have a number of different symptoms :

* Oil leaking from underneath the charger at a reasonably alarming rate

* Grinding or scraping noises coming from it

* The top of it having blown open ;)

* Lots of dirt and smoke out of the exhaust under load

* A rather significant loss of power

How many miles has it covered since the rebuild in 2001?

Roughly 20-25k miles service interval to make sure things are all well and good. Prevention is better (and cheaper) than cure.

As the peeps before have already said, watch out for the symptoms, and rather get the charger overhauled sooner than later. Mine was pumping out oil big time (well, I felt it was ;-) ), that seeped along the pipe leading towards the intercooler (as I have filters in those pipes to prevent any debris caused by a possible charger explosion from entering the engine, and there's a minimal gap, enough for oil to push its way out, so I spotted it earlier than later :-) ), and that was enough reason for me to go down and see the boys at G-Werks/Pitstop for a rebuild.

Incidentally my charger had also last been rebuilt by Jabba, and it turned out that they had pushed in an oil seal to far on the mainshaft, which is why it started to pump oil prematurely.

Tempest

Pick up a boost gauge...its a good way to monitor the charger. If its boosting lower than normal...then you'll know somethings not right.