Sign in to follow this  
TomB

1.8 -> 2.0l

If in the worst case scenario my engine is FUBAR, can anyone tell me if it's a straight swap to a 2.0l or not? Is the downpipe different, are the mountings different, will it fit under the early shape bonnet? I noticed that there was a 2.0l lump in the 'for sale' section and thought I'd ask.

Cheers,

Tom

2.0 and 1.8 are essentially the same. mounting points are the same, and they'll both fit under the early bonnet (only the VR6 won't)

You may need to do some work on the electrics if you want the 2.0 to fit as VW intended, or you may be able to just use the K-Jetronic injection that your car already uses with a little bit of modding and bodging...

dunno about the downpipe though...

My car has just had a new 9A bottom end put in as the previous block had reached the end of it's life... when we took the old bottom end out we were suprised to find out that it was a KR!!! The new 9A went in quickly but we had several delays as we had to wait for little unexpected bits to be sent over from Germany to get the 9A to mate up to gearbox etc... no one was expecting how much of a pain in the ar$e this "straight" swap would be and it has taken a lot of time to get it right!

My car was always meant to be a 2.0 9A but someone before I got it had put the 1.8 KR in - if your head is OK then you may want to keep that and just put in the 9A bottom end as this seems to be a good combination...

Good luck