Sign in to follow this  
Red=Fast

Kind of a funny story.

It's a little long, so just read this if you are bored I guess.

So last night there was a vw meet at the local Italian restaurant, I ended up going with my girlfriend, and my 2 roommates.

To set you up for this story a little better, let me give you some background on what had happened a few days ago…

While my mechanic was working on my car the other day (installing my cam and attempting to get my reverse glow gauges going again), ‘accidentally’ he grounded out a wire while working under my dash, blowing my stereo fuses as well as my amp fuses. Yeah, pain in the ass. Besides just blowing the fuses he also managed to somehow make my speedo no longer work on my gauge cluster. So I have him fix those things, a few hours and fuses later he fixed the problems. After he has gone, I go to drive my car and my fuel gauge as well as my temp gauge do not work. Fantastic. So I now have been driving since Monday with no fuel gauge I had ¾ of a tank of gas, no big deal, I will fill up on Friday, not a problem. Back to last night…

On my way home, we started up the incline of the hill on the way home, and a full load in my Corrado, I rub a little bit when I hit a good size bump in the road. Annoying but never was any real kind of issue. So, I hit a bump in the road and scrape inside the wheel wells a little, no problem, so I thought.

All of the sudden my car starts sputtering and when I give it more than half throttle, the car just about dies while driving! At this point I'm almost to the top of the hill limping up it with my caution lights flashing going 5mph (because that’s all the momentum that was left from the hill). So I make it into town and them car dies. At this point I'm freaking out threatening my car that I am going to sell it and so I get out with my roommate and push it to a near by parking lot. I am franticly looking everywhere under the hood and car trying to figure out what the hell happened when my car scraped.

I find nothing is out of order and I am stumped. So I start trying to figure out what could be the problem. I don’t think its gas because I had ¾ of a tank 3 days ago. And I don’t know what could have happened from just scraping a bit under the car. So I let myself and the car cool down for like 10 min. and then I try to start it again, sputters a bit then dies. I figure I will no try process of elimination. Gas first. Easy fix if that is the issue. I have no gas can, crap. Luckily I have a friend who works a 10 min. walk away from where I ended up with my car. So I walk over and borrow his car and gas can. Drive back to the car, put the gas in, let the fuel pump go for a few seconds and it fires right up. I am going to let my mechanic hear about this…

And boy do I feel stupid.

I ran out of fuel on a busy highway too, but it was my fault because I knew there wasn't much in the tank. You do feel a complete plum though, so I sympathise with you!

As for your mechanic.....hmmm.... why do cars tend to leave some garages with more problems than they went in with these days?

I think garages should sign a checklist sheet that hire companies like Hertz etc make you fill out before you drive off! That way you'll know any dents/broken stuff was their doing when you pick it up.

i've run out of petrol on the a1 before now, knowing full well i needed to fill up but trying to make it to the next service station with a burger king because i was hungry, not only did i feel like a plum I didnt get my burger king for another 2 hours!