kebabman

Leaking gearbox.

Just done an oil change on my VR, what a stupid non-intuitive process compared to any other car I've done, why do VW make everything hard? I mean, a PLASTIC oil filter cover requiring a 36mm socket to remove is ridiculous ranting.gif

*breath*

Anyway, I noticed I have an oil leak from the engine-gearbox gastket, but the g'box level is fine, is this usual for a VR and nothing I should worry about or should I get it fixed? I've cleaned the area up to keep an eye on it...here's a pic of what it looked like before.

IMG_0020-vi.jpg

IMG_0021-vi.jpg

Looking at the photo's now it does look like that....but it didn't when I was under the car :?

How much is a new sump?....mines not exactly in good nick anyway :lol:

IMG_0024-vi.jpg

IMG_0004-vi.jpg

I hope it's not that too! :shock:

It's not leaking large amounts of gearbox oil, so I'm hoping it's just a weaping gasket or sump :?

There's no gasket between the gearbox and the engine, where the oil is coming from might be behind the cover plate, remove that and investigate before it causes some major damage if this is the problem.

At best the sump gasket is weeping (common) and at worst, the crankshaft seal is leaking. If it's just a sweat of oil that doesn't drip or spread particularly fast, it's just a the sump gasket.

I didn't notice it smelling "nutty" :lol: but I have battered that sump a bit :oops:

It's not losing much oil at all, just a 'sweat' covering the surfaces as you say Kev. Think I'll try a new sump gasket next time I do an oil change. In the mean time I'll just keep an eye on it and the level.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Oh yeah, just noticed the pic of the crusty 'n' rusty sump.

Listen to Mr Charged's advice as mine looked like that and it developed a hole! A tiny drip to begin with but a firm poke of the hole whilst on the ramps turned into a raging torrent.... Luckily the hole didn't rupture on the road otherwise the engine would have died within minutes!

Hi guys,

Fairly sure I have the same problem here, so thought I'd post here rather than start a new thread.

I think I have the same problem, very small spot of oil on the floor, gearbox side, nearest the sump is coated in oil, theres also a bit near the bottom of the sump.

I'm going to change the sump, gasket and plug o ring to be sure.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79855[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79856[/ATTACH]

Edited by Erallus

I've found its worth checking oil cooler and the oil filter housing as leaks from these seem to quickly find their way into the groove where the oil meets the block and just tracks it way all around.