Riley

Late Black G60

Managed to get it down the drive, sideways...and gave it its last wash for a while...

121008g60offroad8.jpg

121008g60offroad.jpg

121008g60offroad1.jpg

121008g60offroad5.jpg

121008g60offroad2.jpg

121008g60offroad3.jpg

121008g60offroad4.jpg

Then polished it, waxed it and covered it :(

121008g60offroad7.jpg

121008g60offroad6.jpg

Looks frapping lovley as always mate ;-) p.s let me know if you want to get rid of that old charger outlet, it maybe 5h1t but I bet its better than the standard plastic outlet that I have on mine :-(

Dan, already sold im afraid mate :(

how come it is going into hibernation Riley ?

Just fancied cheap motoring with the new valver for a while really, and i want to get it to a more finished state for our show next year :D

Ive just drove it for the first time in months! Took it up to my unit as ive been getting paranoid about it getting damaged etc...

My god it felt fecking quick! :o

Ive got all new wishbones/track rod ends/ball joints/top front and rear mounts etc sat there (have been for ages!) ready to fit. Its about time i got around to em and got the whole car more 'finished'

I now have a plan for the interior too i think, but it will be a long time before i can afford to do something with that.

Hopefully if things work out then the 'more finished' idea will be done for VAG 2009 :)

Neil.

Well after a guy put a deposit down on the concours mk1 earlier, i was feeling a bit sh|t so i fecked off up to the unit and cracked on with a few bits on the front end.

Im gonna drop the whole subframe at some point next year and fully refurb it.

Out of the below i just have the front/rear top mounts and rear anto roll bar bushes left to do.

The other stuff was done about an hour ago.

g60corradowishbonesdone1.jpg

g60corradowishbonesdone2.jpg

One of the front wishbone bolts snapped after very little force trying to undo it, but the irwins/heat and an angle grinder on the wishbone took care of it and the thread was fine.

g60wishbonebolt1.jpg

g60wishbonebolt2.jpg

g60wishbonebolt.jpg

g60wishbonebolt5.jpg

g60wishbonebolt3.jpg

Neil.

Went to replace the top mounts earlier, but the fk konigsports aren't looking very good.

18,000 miles use and about 2.5/3 years old. :censored:

Spot anything wrong here? Nothing too obvious, and i've looked after them pretty well i think anyway. The pics are after wiping off the protection spray provided and added grease.

g60fkcoiloversfecked1.jpg

g60fkcoiloversfecked2.jpg

g60fkcoiloversfecked3.jpg

What about now? Fecking bottom collar hanging off...

g60fkcoiloversfecked4.jpg

g60fkcoiloversfecked6.jpg

g60fkcoiloversfecked7.jpg

Lets look at the remaining collar...I wonder how long it would have lasted before possibly causing a pretty serious accident?

g60fkcoiloversfecked8.jpg

g60fkcoiloversfecked9.jpg

And here it is after falling off in bits while just pulling at it with my hand.

g60fkcoiloversfecked10.jpg

As you can see, the thread on the shocker is fine, the remaining ally collar just wipes off the thread like powder.

Its obvious this is going to happen with the ally collars/steel plated body's. But im really dissapointed after paying a lot of money for supposedly good quality coilovers...

g60fkcoiloversfecked11.jpg

So what to do with them...You can get new collars, but are they gonna be ally again and only last two minutes?!

Yeah, i found the same problem with thew rears earlier in the year...Was hoping the fronts would have faired better. :(

That's pretty cack, how much are new collars? Does it make it worth replacing them every year or two?

I think they are £6 each x 8 (2 on each shocker) = £48 quid :|

For what was £600 quids worth of suspension id expect much better, i don't know if i fancy throwing £50 quid at them every 18k miles :censored:

Not happy man...

Yeah, its disgraceful tbh...you could have had a horrendous accident because of it. I take it FK don't state anything in their leaflet. Trading standards?

Unfortunately that is what happens when bare stainless steel meets bare aluminium (galvanic corrosion), that's REALLY bad engineering going on there, very dangerous...considering a suspension strut is just about the worse place you can mix metals- it's in an open air environment where water and salt are being sprayed onto it. The platforms aren't even hard anodized to help prevent metal to metal contact...

KW I believe get round it by using a composite platform, although I've never seen them. You should complain to them, maybe threaten them with trading standards.

Yeah it is...I understand it as disimilar metal corrosion and its bound to happen like you say. Just not something you think about at the time of purchase i guess.

I wouldn't know how to go about making a complaint etc, especially with them being a german company...And tbh will it be worth the hassle? I don't get much time to myself as it is with work etc...

Kw do indeed use plastic/composite collars as a lad on Volksdevil.com has just mentioned them. Im unsure which way to go.

I don't really want to buy new coilovers as the ride quality and the actual inserts (koni) are half decent. Im just wondering if a local company could make up some collars in stainless?

Neil.

That's shocking. At least you found it before it collapsed!

When were the collars last moved?

Is this due to FK's usings bad engineering / knowledge or a way to keep thier customers spending? After all, they don't want components to last for ever. Would expect more than 2.5 years though on a fairly expensive kit. I'd definitly speak to FK UK.

Will have to check over my highsports carefully. But then, I'm not sure they've got ali coller's?

Shame you sold the Mk1. How long had you had it?

Out of interest, have you had the crankshaft pulley off your G60?

One of the reasons Im fitting some fixed shocks and springs. You may be limited in what ride height you get but there's no chance of this happening. I know of two other people who have had this.

No using stainless threads on stainless is actually prettey bad too becuase the the threads pick up, unless you use an anti gauling paste which on a strut would be hard to keep in place. I would reccomend using a molybdenum disulphide modified nylon (Nylatron GS you can get from RS) or similar ones made, take a strut down to your local machine shop and ask them to make some up, they will need to be at least 12mm though to increase the thread engagement as it is a softer material (or maybe not actually depending on what grade aluminium they have used!), on the top one it could run up the inside of the spring if you wanted. Get the outside knurled and you'd probably no longer need to use spanners on them, as the lubricating qualities of the stuff are brilliant. When you get them made though, get them to put a 4mm grub screw hole in on the lock ring, and use a long grub screw against the strut just for peace of mind.

Cheers for the info KipVR, i'll definately keep that in mind. Im gonna see what the relacements from fk are made of first and go from there...

Shame you sold the Mk1. How long had you had it?

Out of interest, have you had the crankshaft pulley off your G60?

Had the mk1 for 6 years, and have really, really enjoyed owning it.

This one here. Definately regrest the sale even though it hasn't completed yet, will never own another car like it let alone a mk1 :(

And yep, i have indeed had the crank pully off when i replaced the bolt with a mk1 gti one plus the washer.Why do you ask mate? :)

One of the reasons Im fitting some fixed shocks and springs. You may be limited in what ride height you get but there's no chance of this happening. I know of two other people who have had this.

Springs/shocks would be great...Dampers adjusted perfectly to match the ride height etc. But its the lack of clearance for the Borbets :( I can't get rid as i spent two weeks painting em :lol:

Mate, your Mk1 is a true show piece :clap:

You only did 1200 miles in it. Hope you got the right money.

The reason I asked about the crank pulley was just on the off chance of something I found on mine last week. The flywheel and crank marks didn't always line up, so I took the lower pulley off where I found only half a key left on the sprocket. Looks like it's come loose at some point previous to me owning it and chewed the key up. Luckily my crankshaft survived, but wish I'd taken the pulley off a year ago when I put a DX bolt on there.

Propably not your issue, but just thought I'd mention it.

As I now know the pain of trying to work out WTF is wrong with my G60 :bad-words: :lol:

Its great fun aint it mate? :lol: :| I did have a good look at the crank/pully and as far as i can remember it was all mint. With it being off the road for a while i may have another look at it actually, get some pics etc just to be doubly sure.

We got what we expected for the mk1 cheers mate...If things were different though we wouldn't of sold it had someone offered even 25k for it...Its just something we never wanted to sell. :( The guy could tell we were really upset about selling it, as he was getting the deposit out me and my dad were looking at each other saying...Are we doing the right thing here or what?

Well im bored waiting for the new coilover collars so i started making a bracket for sommet...Excuse the filth on the car...it has been parked up for a good while :(

Bit of scrap ally.

nitrousbracket.jpg

Cut/bent etc...

nitrousbracket1.jpg

Radiator fan relay location...

nitrousbracket2.jpg

Remove relay.

nitrousbracket4.jpg

Drill holes in bracket and bolt it up...

nitrousbracket5.jpg

To be continued. :D

Well im just mocking up at the mo. Although things are pretty solid/paintable/useable anyway tbh...

notrousbracketshaped.jpg

nitrousbracket6.jpg

notrousbracketshaped1.jpg

Thats one sorted...Onto the next.

nitrousfuelbracket.jpg

nitrousfuelbracket1.jpg

Three holes, 2 for the rocker cover studs and one for a cut down bolt on the corner as there was already a thread tapped into the rocker cover.

nitrousfuelbracket3.jpg

nitrousfuelbracket2.jpg

Silicone hose with a hole drilled in it...

nitrousnozzle2.jpg

Still need to secure this properly.

nitrousnozzle.jpg

Its sits in a lot further when tight.

nitrousnozzle1.jpg

nitrousfuelbracket10.jpg

nitrousfuelbracket6.jpg

nitrousfuelbracket12.jpg

Im ordering 125bhp jets :lol: Obviously with a progressive controller!

Im going to 'up the power' before the nitrous is run too!

Neil.

Neil, that light layer of dust isn't exactly filthy. Will take no time to clean up. You should see my engine bay :gag:

What is this, water injection? :shrug:

Is your running problem sorted then?

What are you finding you've got high boost temps or something? Was wondering if the cossie intercooler was big enough, I'm trying to work out if I should chargecool mine or go the FMIC route?

Its a 125 brake horse nitrous kit mate :D I've still got the running problem which hopefully may be sorted before it goes back on the road...Im planning a big zaust manifold with a new full system to make sure its all leak free (current sytem blows a bit) and also trying another lambda which is definately for a model not running a cat convertor...then a remap! Hopefully the problem will show up/be cured while pumping the power up a bit...And then the nitrous can be used :D

The cossie intercooler seems to work really well, noticeably well infact! I didn't want to just go for 'bigger is better' really as i like the idea of it still keeping all of the available boost pressure held in the system. Its definately sharper on hot days :D

Video here shows how it goes - currently running 206 brake horse.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=S7zW0oWKyC8

Ive decided the silicone hose just won't do...Ive tried tightening it with a spanner and mmmmmm.Not happy with it.

Oh, and the thread on the fogger nozzle is tapered, which i forgot! So it does end up tight in the nut. Gonna have to have a boss welded into some ally pipe and then tap it for the fogger nozzle.

Tonight i reshaped the fuel solenoid bracket and painted it along with the nitrous solenoid bracket. Pics are showing dust after i swept up :nuts: (paint was dry though!)

nitrousbracketspaint1.jpg

nitrousbracketspaint.jpg

nitrousbracketspaint2.jpg

And the line which will run from the nitrous solenoid through the bulk head and to the bottle.

nitrousbracketspaint5.jpg