Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigneil

Runabout for

Well what he said was:

BMW E30 318is, 320(is) or 325

Just said I'd throw in the remark in case he'd been offered one at that money or something :)

You could do worse than a Citroen ZX Volcane - either the TD or the petrol - I've had two and they're great fun to drive (same chassis as the Pug 306), they don't rust, the interiors wear incredibly well (I'm currently selling a 262000-miler and you'd never know it to look at it!), plus you can still go to GSF for all the bits! :lol:

I don't think he meant that particular E30. You need to be a bit of an E30 geek to understand the signifance and rarity of such a beast :wink:

Isn't the 320iS the 4cylinder 16V 2 litre version with a slightly hotter than normal engine? :?

I think its practically the same car as the 325isport but with an m3 engine fitted. Import only afaik

Not 100% sure about a 320is to be honest, was told there were a few different versions in E30 form - Italians had a different one or something?

Thought the E30 M3 was a 2.3?

Any way - It is really a non spending car I'm looking for but I would actually like a mk2 gti 8v now, I might even spend some money on it you never know....

Seen some 1994 Saab 900's for under £1k they don't look too bad also.

I think it's going to be an 8v gti mk2 Golf in the end - have a bmw mechanic friend that told me all the E30 BM's look a mess that he has had in to work on, he's had a few Golf's and said he'll come with me and get it up on the ramps before I buy - if the seller will let me. Wish I'd done the same with my C after replacing brake bias, all brake lines etc within 6 months of owning...

The 320is is basically a UK spec 325i sport but with a 2.0 litre version of the E30 M3 engine fitted (stroke is shorter) They have the same gearbox as the M3 with dogleg first gear

They were sold instead of the 325 sport in Italy and Portugal as those countries have much higher road tax on cars with engines over 2.0L

Click the link in my sig to see more.

Wow really? 84k!? haven't seen any mk2 GTI's under 100k for under 1,000 maybe I should hold out as my favourite is £950 on autotrader with 130,000 miles. Not so sure about the scirocco, will have a look around, the Blue GLX sounds good, wasn't too convinced on the brown one on autotrader - yuk, no offense to anyone with a brown car - I'm brown but don't want my car to be!

Yes mate 84k, it was in excellent condition..

Mint 1's can be brought for under 1k, you just need to look long and hard im afraid :wink:

just chipping in on the mondeo thing. My Father-in-law wrote off his car late last year. He had a budget of £1700, for his 1700 quid he not only wanted a neat reliable car, but also wanted, it to be a diesel have central locking, lecy windows, a tow bar and aircon!!! so started looking though all the normal rags and noted mondeo prices. Had a look at a few, some of which where total dogs, found a good one though in the end. For 1450 quid I found him an R reg (so late big headlamps) 100k turbo diesel with all the options he wanted including the towbar. And I must say it drives very well.

Another option is the Seat Ibiza. My wife drives my old L reg diesel that I picked up for £600 a year or so ago. Its got 141k on it, but has loads more life left in it. Also does 50 to the gallon.

No I haven't seen one I really want at the moment, have been checking ebay also. The good news is I just got my insurance renewed today for £780 fully comp with breakdown cover and everything else with Admiral, Well Impressed!! bloody esure or egg (I've forgotten) quoted me £2,400!

Got to pay my months train to London from Guildford which is too fockin much (marther focker, genious) I will keep searching for the MK2! I need to start saving to get the bits for the C - I think I lost the whole point of the exercise - Take the C off the road and save money to fix everything at once by spending new insurance money on a runabout. Now I have insured the C and want a golf gti as well ? :roll:

always the way mate.. I've seen 2 nice mk2's one red one with leather & a modded MK2 16v both for not alot of money!!

do a national search for 16v's...

having had a similar dilema not to long ago and owning 4 c's to date, 2 of which were vr's, i went for a mk2, i bought a 16v but i had a 2k budget, and i love it, when i need a part my local scrappy has'nt let me down once, and if you have a budget of a 1000 you will get a good one for that money the only reason i spent more was i wanted leather etc, just my 2 pennies but they are out there.