Sign in to follow this  
stevemac

stevemac's G60 8) (mapped & back on the road)

any pics of the cooler in situ?
Yeah - I'll stick some piccys on here as soon as I've fitted it.

I need to get hold of a Golf G60 charger outlet (U-bend), so that I can gauge the exact position that the cooler needs to be mounted. I'm gonna try to mount the cooler as high as possible, to keep the boost pipes as short as I can.

Finished building the engine today... :D

Just need to get a new battery tomorrow & hopefully it'll start.

I've stuck the standard intercooler back on for now - until I can get hold of some pipework to plumb-in the front mount. Found an old oil feed pipe for my charger which will have do, until the new pipe arrives.

Few bits to sort out for the MOT over the next week or so & then I'll be back in business.. 8)

Fired it up yesterday - bit lumpy idle but runs ok.

Set the timing up today - still a bit lumpy on idle but revs ok. Urgently needs a remap now. Just need to get it MOT'd & then down to G-Werks to get it all setup.

steve i can now supply you with a new u-bend if still needed.. did the oil feed get to you ok ?

Oil feed arrived the morning after you sent it Daz - cheers m8.

I'm gona leave fitting the front mount cooler until my finances have recovered slightly. MOT, tax & insurance to sort out this month & LeMans in June will keep me short'ish for the next couple of months.. :?

Car sounds a lot more meaningful than it used to. Magnex exhausts are usually known for their fairly quiet running - not this one, sounds throaty as hell now... :mrgreen:

Almost ready for MOT now - fitted new rear brake calipers, discs, wheel bearings, pads & Goodrige braided brake hoses today.

Just need to seal a leaking exhaust joint tomorrow & temporarily stick a "standard" set of back lights on, then it's off for MOT next week .. :mrgreen:

Tested the brakes today - fairly spongy .. :mad:

Front calipers need bleeding & one of the bleed nipples has sheared off. Gonna drill it out tomorrow night & I'll heat-up the other side to make sure that doesn't shear as well, when I unscrew it.

Still running very rich (as I expected) but hopefully it'll pass the MOT when I take it to the garage next week.

Engine is no where near as lumpy on idle now & revs very well. I've not driven the car on the road yet but I've been running the engine just to let everything "settle down".

Standard front bumper & grille have been re-fitted for now - I spent a bit too much already. RS2 bumper, new grille & new intercooler will be fitted later this summer - when my finances have recovered .. :lol:

Here's a piccy of the cooler, in one of it's possible mounting positions -

I wasn't aware that cars could grin, but it certainly looks like yours is :D

Do like the looks of that. I totally hear what you are saying about finances recovering. I think I'm cancelling Christmas this year, and postponing all birthdays between here and there!

I wasn't aware that cars could grin, but it certainly looks like yours is :D
Nice idea, I didn't think of that - I could paint some teeth on it - like on some of the WW2 fighter planes .. :lol:

I'm happy today - car passed it's MOT yesterday morning & I drove it 180 miles to G-Werks in the afternoon.

Engine was very low on power when I set off - new piston rings, head & charger still to bed-in properly. As I got nearer & nearer the power started to increase. Fuel consumption also improved as the miles increased. Car is still running very rich - first 50 miles took 1/4 tank of fuel, next 100 miles also used 1/4 tank. Looks like the piston rings were just starting to seal. Steady 70mph all the way there to keep it under 3000rpm

Daz & Steve (G-Werks/Pitstop) are gonna work some magic on it this week & hopefully I'll have chance to collect it next weekend.

That was the first time I'd driven the car since last September - it felt great. I'd forgotten how well it handles. The trip to G-Werks was kind of like like driving an underpowered go-kart.. :D

Can't wait to get it back & fully run-in.

good stuff m8 :D

its good to hear that you felt the engine start to bed in a little,could easily go wrong with bore wash especially if overfuelling,i know it will overfuel slightly anyway like.

how many miles before an oil change etc?

keep up the good work.

neil.

I'm gonna change the oil & filter next week, as soon as I get the car back to Birmingham. Then I'll stick another 500 miles on it & change the oil again just before I go to LeMans in June.

The "rich" fuel mixture is one of the reasons that I wanted to get the car to G-Werks as soon as possible. Usually, I would have run the engine for around 500 miles to "bed" everything in before having it set-up correctly.

Found out why my car was so sluggish on the trip to G-Werks -

Fecking thing was running on 3 cylinders for most of the journey

Yup - I sort of knackered it when I fitted it - thought it'd be okay .. doh

It's the burned out end that was the problem - the insulation was cut to view the crapness of the core

New set of Beru leads being fitted tomorrow

Nice one Steve, look forward to seeing it back on the road.. bet you cant wait!!!

Drove the car back from G-Werks on Friday night.. :D

It's very quick now, with still more to come when I fit the front mount cooler. All the hard work was time well spent - the car absoloutely flies now, even with the std cooler still fitted. I'm gonna have to get it to a rolling road before I fit the front mount cooler & then again afterwards. See what a difference it makes.

Top marks to Daz & Liam for getting the engine set-up & mapped... :wink: