Sign in to follow this  
g-dub

getting my power down

looking to price up and plan the drivetrain for my car, should be looking for around 250bhp out of my G60 and mainly use it for the drag strip, i have a VR6 gearbox for the 1,2 and 3rd ratios (how much to have these fitted)

looking a clutches which one, gonna be a paddle clutch but should i buy the APT 4 puck or 6 puck (what does 4 or 6 puck mean) as there cheap compared to english versions and can get a friend to bring over

also diff, again should i get the APT drag spool (solid diff) cheap compared to the quaiffe LSD but is it usable on the street, does anyone know???

if you think different please post me your best combinations it would be most appreciated!!

A solid/fixed/locked diff will eat tyres on the street and make cornering (especially at low speed) somewhat interesting... :|

With 250BHP, just fit the VR6 standard clutch... J-DUB was running about that kinda power and had no problems getting down onto the ground through the VR6 clutch, 1st and 2nd gears and Quaife Diff. Spend some money on some lightweight wheels and slick tyres thought, and that'll help you get the grip through the Quaife diff loads better.... 8)

Stealth charge around £1200 for a gearbox rebuild with Diff and if you've already got the VR6 gears they'll lob 'em in while it's in bits... 8)

:lol: When I read the subject I thought you meant you had too much power and wanted to get rid of it! :roll:

i wish, maybe i could share it about, a few brake to you, and some for you and so on

cheers henny

ive got some 15"bbs's and 2 compomotive MO's with slicks for the track,

as for the diff, i'll see, on no-rice at the mo theres a group buy so i'll look into that, still about £300 more than the drag spool, but as you said driveabilty will be fun,

you say the vr clutch is best, wouldn't a paddle clutch be better for the racing, or would i just be waisting the my money

250bhp isn't really gonna tax a VR's clutch too much... they're good for about 280bhp IIRC. Paddle clutch will probably last a little longer but would make the car a real bitch to drive on the street... Oh, and a VR clutch is cheaper than a G60 clutch and is gonna be a whole shed load cheaper than a paddle one! ;)

oh, and to answer the puck bit of your question. A normal clutch has a friction PLATE (IE a complete disk) A Platter clutch has "arms" (for want of a better word) with the friction material on the end of 'em... 4 in a four puck, 6 in a six puck. The main problem with this style of clutch is that it tends to be either ON or OFF, there's no (or very little) points where it'll slip, which means that you can't just hold it on the clutch on a hill, and hill starts get fecking annoying at all times and traffic just becomes a nightmare...

i'll get a golf/corrado vr6 one then, whick is the best make should i get the helix one,

sporting clutch kit at £287.30

or...........

different makes and prices if possible

as for the diff i'll order the quaiffe LSD

when chatting to the guy at demon tweeks he quoted me for the helix kit with paddle plate and it was £350 now 50 qiud aint that much more and a paddle clutch will give me much better performance, not so bothered about the problems as i only use the car at wkends and at santa pod, so i could be swayed that way. i'll have a look at the sach one's now

A stock sach should be about 120!!!! and will handle 280bhp and above!

Its just a matter of how much you want to pay.

If you decide to get a std VR6 clutch get the LUK - in standard form, it's slightly better quality than Sachs . :wink:

We stock both types & also an uprated Sachs "sporting" clutch as well.

looking at the part numbers for these the vr and the g60 are different but the specs are the same, are they just the same but with different part numers or is there sumit different on one

Visually - there's hardly any difference at all.. :shock:

I can take some pictures of the Sachs "sporting" one on Monday if you like ?

I think the VR one is just more heavy duty!

Vince at Stealth reckons the standard ones are fine for most cars and the sporting ones will only make a difference if your pushing out mega bhp!

looking at the part numbers for these the vr and the g60 are different but the specs are the same, are they just the same but with different part numers or is there sumit different on one

The springs in the spring plate and the damper springs on the friction plate are slightly uprated on the VR6 clutch (did a comparison of 2 next to each other when I did my G60 rebuild... ;) )

yup, unbolt your G60 clutch and throw it in the bin. Bolt in your new VR6 clutch and off you go! 8)

sorry but the devil in me made me do it, so i went and got the paddle clutch, made me smile more when i thought about it!!