Sign in to follow this  
Andy Brookes

Where to buy Clifford Avantguard5?

Hi All,

For my last Corrado I managed to buy a Clifford G4 Ace7500 alarm in the states for £185ish, this including engine start, blackjax and loads of other stuff. Fancy the same sort of thing on my current C.

Anyone know the best place to get an Avantguard G5? Want to fit it myself like i did the last one as I dont trust alarm installers generally.

Cheers Andy

I might suggest fleabay to be honest - there are some big big car alarm sellers on there, especially stateside.

I've a friend who works for a Clifford Dealer as a fitter.

After being amazed by the difference in price between E-Bay and Dealers for Clifford stuff, I tackled him about it.

An Avantguard can take as long as two days to fit apparently, so whilst the Alarm may be cheap on E-Bay, it will not come with fitting instructions and you'll have to pay someone to install it.

The warranty is invalidated if it is not fitted by an approved Clifford installer. Given the complexity of these alarms, you really would want the benefit of a warranty. When these go wrong they go wrong BIG time.

Even as a homer, he was looking £300 just to fit a G5 and it wouldn't include a warranty as he was installing it without his boss' knowledge.

I've found Cliffords to be nothing but hassle anyway.

Didn't bother in the end. Realistically, all you need from an alarm is something that makes a loud noise if someone breaks a window or opens a door. Mine locks the doors and activates the total closure too, which I think of as a bonus. Teamed with a good alarm and a tracker, your car will be as safe as you can make it. Throw in a big chain too as a visual deterant.

All this fancy business of "smart battery charging," "autostart," "headlight control" etc only leads to the 10 year old loom in your car being butchered resulting in no end of electrical gremlins further down the line.

Rant over :D

Fit an Autowatch mate. I've spoken to a few experienced alarm fitters recently about ripping my heap of shid Clifford out and installing the most reliable alarm ever in it's place and they all just said one word - Autowatch.

It may not have all the gadgets of the Clifford but to be honest, less is more where car alarms are concerned.

Couldn't agree more.

I've a Laserline but Autowatch have also been recommended to me by guys in the trade.

Likewise the Cobra I have in mine seems to be a pretty no-nonsense safe bet CAT1 alarm. Apart from some issues not long after buying the car thanks to a faulty sensor, its been perfectly well behaved :)

I hear what your saying, but I was very impressed with the clifford I had before. I installed it by soldering and heatshrinking every connection and I think that is the thing that makes an alarm reliable or not, its the installation. I didnt have one problem with it in the 2.5 years I had the car, dont think Nigel (G60 Jet) has any problems with it either in the same amount of time he has had the car.

Never heard of Autowatch. Toad was the favorate last year.

Any other ideas on where to get the Avantguard G5?

My clifford was fitted by a place with a really good reputation round my area. It completely packed up and gave me nothing but trouble! It turned out it was just Bayloxed! And it kept draining my battery.

I wouldn't have another Clifford thrown at me! My Concept 300 is sat in my boot at the min.

I've now got a Toat Ai606 and am well happy with it.

*RANT OVER*

A mate at work is looking into an Avantguard, I'll have a word in a min and see where he's getting his from.