Sign in to follow this  
kinga

No rev counter

Hi guys

New to the forum, spend most days on the PVW one but got me a corrado now so here i am 8)

I have a 1991 1.8 16v and the rev counter doesn’t want to play ball but I can hear a tiny buzzing coming from it a now and then. Is it frekced or can I take it apart and fix the bu66er?

Also the mpg on the mfa always reads 99.9 ? Do these clocks have the same type of vacuum sender at the back like golfs?

Err, think that’s it for the mo, sure I will find some more probs to come!

Cheers

Kinga

rev counter could be a dodgy wire onto the coil... have a look around the coil area to see if there's a wire broken/slipped off... Otherwise it could well be a knackered clock or possibly a loose/damaged wire somewhere behind the clocks...

Yes, the MFA is run off a vacuum hose the same as the golf... so probably a damaged hose or it's fallen off at one end or the other... :|

Welcome to The Forum... 8) Nice looking motor you got there, what are the wheels? 8)

If the 16V clocks are anything like the VR6 ones (construction wise) then they are modular and you can replace the rev counter module on it's own, which costs about £30. This of course is assuming everything else is as it should be.

One thing worth checking which caused my rev counter to die is the voltage regulator on the clock's printed circuit foil. Mine had a dry joint which I resoldered and the rev counter then resumed normal service and has been fine ever since!

Top info guys thanks :) Will have a crack at it tomoz!

The wheels are 9x16 Keskins, Had to sort the back arches out though as they shredded the sh!t out of my tyres!

alright kinga m8 8)

my rev counter didnt work on the journey home from buying the car,gave the dash a good ol' wack and it came to life :lol:

neil.

alright riley me old china, hows the C going?

Well didnt have time to look at it this weekend but gave the dash a whack and nothing happend to the rev counter but the MPG worked for about 20 mins they died again lol!

Cheers for the info again guys

yeah good so far m8,just trying to see what the best mpg i can get is... :roll: and searching for some phat rims after seeing yours 8)

sounds like your gonna need to have a look at the wiring/connectors to the clocks,and seems that the old mpg reading problem has carried over from the golfs!

neil.