Sign in to follow this  
955matt

G60,poor fuel consumption and who for charger rebuild?

Hi,I have recently bought a G60 with 105k on the clock.Full vw service history but the charger has not been touched.Still pulls well but is leaking a small amount of oil out the back of the charger.Is it best left or best to have it rebuilt?If it needs rebuilding who is best? :?:

Also noted the car is only doing about 20MPG max.Not being trashed around every were.MFA is saying that its is doing about 33MPG :( You can nearly see the gauge move.No signs of a leak anywere.Any thoughts :?:

Thanks Alot Matt

Well - most popular company for rebuilds around these 'ere parts is G-Werks - they are based down south in West Sussex and you can find their site @ http://www.g-werks.com :)

Will hopefully be paying them a visit myself in a few months time.. my charger is about ready to be rebuilt :)

Erk - didn't notice the oil comment - as Steve says, book in a rebuild promptly!

Thanks will give them a bell when I get back off holiday.How often do the cargers need rebuilding?

Any thoughts on the fuel consumption?What should it be doing :?:

Thanks Matt

The charger on the G60 can have various tweaks done to it to make it provide more boost and flow more freely.. one of the most common mods is to fit a smaller sized pulley to the charger thus making the inside of the charger spin faster and giving you more boost. One of the side effects of this is a quicker rate of wear to the charger internals... i'm assuming your charger hasn't been twiddled with but I thought you might like to know that before I start mentioning pulley sizes :)

So bearing that in mind on a standard pulley the charger should at least be split open and inspected every 60,000 miles. This will then decrease depending on the size of pulley you are running. I'm on a 68mm pulley and that halves the rebuild time to around 30,000 miles - even lower than that (65mm for example) is down to around 15,000 - 20,000 miles I think.

I think my charger is leaking oil too because the inside of the pipes that reach the air inlet there is verymuch oil or greese.

does anybody know how many kilograms is the charger because I maybe try to send it to UK to G-WERKS ( if you all recomend he is best) and I want to tell the shipping company to know how much shipping to UK costs.

Thank you.

Thanks charger still running standard pulley at the moment.Is the stage 4 rebuild worth the extra money.

Any Ideas what could be causing my fuel consumpton.(think someone mentioned the lamber sensor causing high fuel consumption)

Matt

could be your lambda sensor or your blue temp sensor... Change the blue water temp sensor first as these are nice and cheap (about £10 inc. seal) and can be changed in under 60 seconds when the engine is cold... 8)

does anybody know how many kilograms is the charger because I maybe try to send it to UK to G-WERKS ( if you all recomend he is best) and I want to tell the shipping company to know how much shipping to UK costs.

Just weighed the Jabbasport Stage 6 one I have sitting in my garage...

It looks to be about 8Kg (just on bathroom scales)

I would say a standard charger is deffo under 10kg's

Had my charger pushing out oil, too, back in November 2004. I didn't hesitate and contacted G-Werks before any major damage would occur to the charger.

Other than that, main things have already been mentioned re: fuel consumption: Change the blue temp-sender, and possibly the Lambda-probe (mine went in quite a spectacular way, when my Rado started emitting all sorts of black smoke from the exhaust, died whilst idling, and needed revving like crazy to even get it home again (running way too rich, obviously :lol:). That's when a Lambda-probe is completely shot, BTW :lol: But they do go out rather gradually over time, i.e. their response time between switching from an oxygen-rich to an oxygen-poor signal and back again gets longer and longer, before the thing completely fails.

Tempest

sorry to butt in guys :oops:

but i have a v small leak on a pipe running to the charger.

its fitted with a hose clip onto a union with a bolt if i remember correctly?

am i ok to just try 'nipping the bolt' and/or chopping a small piece off the pipe and a new jubilee clip?

dumb questions i know,but im new to all this charger 8) business.

neil.

am i ok to just try 'nipping the bolt' and/or chopping a small piece off the pipe and a new jubilee clip?

neil.

sounds like a prime oppurtunity to replace the oil feed pipe as these can become troublesome and clog up,thus limiting the oil flow to the supercharger :shock: , you can get the pipe and associated fittings (banjo bolts and copper sealing washers) either from the main dealer or from G-werks,, :lol:

neil.

sounds like a prime oppurtunity to replace the oil feed pipe as these can become troublesome and clog up,thus limiting the oil flow to the supercharger :shock: , you can get the pipe and associated fittings (banjo bolts and copper sealing washers) either from the main dealer or from G-werks,, :lol:

thanks m8. :wink:

Thanks for the help guys.Checked the read out and found it was running spot on co:o.o1,AFR 14.7:1.

Think it may be a gauge or sender fault.

Will speak to G werks about the charger though.

Matt