Sign in to follow this  
Blair

Golf V6 4Motion

Looks like I'll be doing some heavy miles in my new job, so at some point the G60 is going to have to go - at 107K miles I haven't the heart to drive it into the ground!

Top of the list in my price range at the moment is the Golf V6 4Motion. Not the most agile of cars, but to be honest, I don't really "chuck" cars around like I used to - priorities have now shifted to something that's a decent drive on motorways & A-roads, has aircon/climate control, but still quick enough to be fun :)

Anyone on here have/had one? Would be interested. Also does anyone have any performance test results for them? Any common problems?

The other alternative is a TDI PD150 (shifts, and does 52mpg)...

I dont see what the appeal for the 2.8 V6 is all about, just has never really floated my boat so to speak.

I would go for the TDI PD150 every time, with a remao it will perform as well as the 2.8V6 and its so good on mpg, 52mpg is superb :)

I tested both back-to-back, different driving experiences, the 4Motion had a distinctly more "sporty" feel - including the lovely noise :) The PD150 was bloody quick, but I don't like the way they flatten off so quickly - I'm used to cars gathering pace as the revs rise, not lose it. But then again, as you say, 52mpg isn't to be sniffed at ;)

To be honest, there wasn't much to choose between the two in terms of performance - they both delivered heaps, just at different points. The 4Motion was the more "sexy" drive though, and the interior is better trimmed - BMW-quality stuff.

I'd get the 4 Motion for the same reasons. I don't like the narrow power band of diesels either.....but it's fun when on boost I have to say!