Sign in to follow this  
303hound

second gear problem

Hi there, new to the forum - wicked site by the way.

After some advice really or if anyone has come accross the same problem

I`m drivin a vr6 on an m plate with about 60k on clock problem is though occasionally when i`m coming down the gears i can`t get second - it`s as if second gear has dissapeared???

any ideas??

cheers

Welcome to the forum....

Could be a few things, shifter allignment, stretched gear cables, sloppy engine/gearbox mounts, syncro's...

Is the clutch ok (not biting low to the carpet?)

good starting point would be to get the gearbox oil changed to some redline mt90 (http://www.redlineoil.co.uk) and check the mounts...

welcome :D

as you can see in the above thread,a simple circlip sorted it for me. 8)

neil.

If its of any use, i'm getting some seriously sloppy gear change issues at the minute as well and I believe its because my front mount needs some rather urgent attention.. 2nd gear is one of the worst (though every gear is basically a struggle) and driving my car is a particularly painful experience at the minute. Its off for a session @ Stealth Racing on the 14th to get it sorted out.. get it all realigned, gearbox oil changed, front mount sorted.. should hopefully be a rather nice drive again.

cheers guys - first port of call will be to change the gear box oil.

Oh yeah - If you order the Oil from Delta (Redline) you need 2 bottles (quarts) and mention this forum for a discount...

Its off for a session @ Stealth Racing on the 14th

Don't forget the flowers... :D

I was well aware of the irony when I booked that day, as was Vince :)

cheers guys - first port of call will be to change the gear box oil.

Oh yeah - If you order the Oil from Delta (Redline) you need 2 bottles (quarts) and mention this forum for a discount...

cheers for that - just been looking through members cars - some stunning looking ones out there 8) :D 8)

had a good root around today - and spotted that one of the mounts is looking suspect - so got my mechanic to get me a quote for one.

cheers for your help again.

DO NOT USE PAS FLUID OR ENGINE OIL IN YOUR GEARBOX!

This will result in a rather large and expensive bill for a new gearbox as it will kill it... :|

Use a good quality gear oil (like Redline MT) in your gearbox and it'll be as good as it can be...

hi my second gear is also poor ,and was wondering what is the thinnest oil for gearboxes ,is it worth using thin engine or p a s oil.

cheers.

brian.

GL5 spec gear oil, synthetic based 75/90 is probably the best, the recommended oil is 80/90 gear oil, GL4 spec.

Halfords do 80/90 and 75/90 I think, VW sell fully synthetic by the litre too, this used to be supplied only for 'problem' new cars before VW would give in and replace a gearbox under warranty. It may help, especially with a cold box, but won't fix a worn synchro or worn selectors.

David.

When should the gearbox oil be changed? ie what mileage? would it be advisable to change it every x miles even if you have no gearbox problems?