Sign in to follow this  
flusted

WEBBER FIREBREATHER INSTALLED!!!

Fitted my firebreather today,after alot of head scratching!

The one i bought was for a mk1 so the throttle linkage is back to front :roll: but i over come this by fitting the 16v linkage on the underneath of it and fittin the tb upside down.I then had to fit the throttle position switch which wasnt to bad as there was a thread in the tb for it!.I also match ported it to my 50mm manifold as the adaptor plate was for the mk1 1.6,meaning i had to open it up loads.

Next prob was the throttle cable was to short so i used a mk2 gti throttle cable bracket which cured the prob.

Just came back from a thrash and throttle response is bonkerz 8) you only have to look at the pedal and it wheelspins :nono: Induction noise is crazy aswell as it sounds like the car is guna suck in pedestrians from the pavement :nuts:

they never made 'em for the 16V engine... ;) You need a MKI one for the 16V engines... 8)

Glad someone got one on (at last!) to prove what I said about them being utterly nuts and the best thing you can do to a valver! :D 8)

I never thought about fitting it upside down... that makes a whole lot of sense! Good thinking! :notworthy: 8)

they never made 'em for the 16V engine... ;) You need a MKI one for the 16V engines... 8)

Glad someone got one on (at last!) to prove what I said about them being utterly nuts and the best thing you can do to a valver! :D 8)

I never thought about fitting it upside down... that makes a whole lot of sense! Good thinking! :notworthy: 8)

He only mentioned throttle response. What about pull thru the gears?

A VR6 throttle body might be a good one to use.... if you can make it fit somehow. It's HUUUUGE compared to the standard 16V one....but might let toooo much air in though :?

I will have one of these for sale in the summer,

Brand new in the Box with the Gasket.

I'll post it in a few months as The wife doesnt want it to fitted

Unless I can change her mind and I doubt that !

Boo feckin Hoo !!

chubbz[schild=4 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=C0C0C0 shieldshadow=1]Ach its her car I suppose ![/schild]

Its hard to judge wot exactly has improved on my car as i fitted a vsam last week,a bigger exhaust thurs,50mm friday and the firebreather sunday!

Although im really impressed with the initial throttle response,it doesnt seem to be much quicker anywhere else and it takes some gettin used to to be able to drive it!

I always go by "well its got to help" thinking, so il be keepin it on there but i can see the mpg situation goin tits up.You only have to press the pedal very lightly and it rockets off and if you put the pedal down to the floor it just roars and doesnt pull any better till it comes "on cam".

I measured it before i fitted it and its a 60mm butterfly,so what size is the vr 1?

flusted have you had the WUR mod done/ redone? as more air is good but i reckon you'll need to reset up your fuel side of things to get full benefit from the firebreather.

I measured it before i fitted it and its a 60mm butterfly,so what size is the vr 1?

Not sure tbh, it looks a little bigger than the FB in the pics. I think it might be a bit too much though!

flusted have you had the WUR mod done/ redone? as more air is good but i reckon you'll need to reset up your fuel side of things to get full benefit from the firebreather.

The wur mod is a set pressure for all cars. It does need setting up but cant afford to go to stealth for a while! need the vsam sorting cos cars pinkin slightly aswell

Off topic but, flusted, have you noticed much difference from fitting the VSAM, wouldnt mind one of these.

The wur mod is a set pressure for all cars

yep sorry, what i meant was I'd try to drop the WUR pressure slightly so air flap rises bit easier to reflect better airflow through throttle, with obvious fueling benefits of course :D

The wur mod has been done and its a set pressure for all cars.You lower the pressure to 48psi,that is all the wur mod is

Off topic but, flusted, have you noticed much difference from fitting the VSAM, wouldnt mind one of these.

Car picked up alot better with it but it really holds back at 6000rpm.Need to get it re-mapped and set up for my spec

Oh, i thought the WUR was on side of block with an electrothermostatic bar in, as engine heats voltage is sent to bar which bends and alters pressure of a thin piston onto a flow plate... the flow plate adjusts pressure to the plunger on top of the fuel distributor leaning of when warm, it also has a vacuum pipe which 'sucks' flow plate back further increasing pressure to plunger and assisting with decreasing fuel flow as engine overuns on vacuum - you can alter these pressure rates by turning allan key and that's all i'm saying!

The vacuum pipe is to sense loss of vacuum when accelerating which lowers the control pressure causing the plunger in the meterhead to rise slightly higher richening the mixture.The wur mod consists of lowering the control presuure to 48psi when warm,richening the mixture across the whole rev range.

UPDATE ON FIREBREATHER

Im enjoying the throttle response with it but it can be a bit of a pain in traffic! also mpg is down to 16!!!!!!!! i do live on the iow and i only do short journeys tho

did you add in a second spring to the firebreather to stiffen up the pedal a bit?

you may find that destroying an old throttle body to nick the spring off it, and then fitting that spring to the weber will help with the drivability of your car too... ;) 8)