Sign in to follow this  
MT

Radiator Replacement

Hello all,

Just a quickie (so to speak) can anyone tell me how much of a job it is going to be to replace the rad in my G60. Think i have sprung a leak but its not loosing much water just steams a bit from the rad area even tho cant see where any holes are.

Anyone know where to get a cheap rad??

Thanks

Its quite easy if you unbolt the fan housing first and take that out then the rad, only a couple of hoses and the slam panel brakets and your on your way, rads for the G are not cheap tho

I did this the morning of the MK meet...

• Take off the grill and take out the headlights.
    [/*:m:47cf8]
  • Remove the rubber boost hose between the charger and pipe to the intercooler. Cover the boost hoses with rubber gloves to prevent anything falling into them.
  • Remove the wiring to the fan and fan switch and get it right out of the way.
  • Remove the 2x 10mm headed bolts either side at the FRONT of the radiator and the 1x 8mm headed bolt on the driver's side right down at the bottom. (you can get access with a ratchet extension through the lower bumper grill) This will allow you to remove all of the plastic mouldings around the radiator.
  • Remove the 4x bolts (10mm headed) which hold the fan cowling onto the radiator (you may have to take the battery off to get at one of 'em...) and then take the fan and cowling off in one piece.
  • Remove the 2x 10mm bolts from the slam panel and lever out the rad mount brackets from the top of the radiator.
  • Remove the top and bottom hoses (prepare to swear at the lower one as it'll be a little sod to get off! :| )

The radiator will now lift out if you lift from the passenger side firstand kinda twist it out of the gap...
  • Re-fitting is pretty much the reversal of taking it out. [/*:m:47cf8]

I didn't bother putting the plastic bits back onto the front of the radiator, but mine's gonna have the full Golf G60 intercooler on it soon with the engine I built for J-DUB, so there was no point in re-fitting 'em again... ;)

Thanks very much guys, ill have a bash at getting it done on saturday. Isnt it just so annoying not having like a haynes manual for the corrado!!

oh, and the best place to get a rad is from either GSF or Euro... You'll find that you need to buy the plastic top pipe (The right angled bit wot bolts onto the rad and connects to the top hose) and its seal from VW as neither GSF or Euro list 'em...

My Rad fan has just started making a terrible whining noise, it sounds like the bearings or something have had enough so I think after 15 years of service I might as well replace it.

If I follow steps 1-5 in the above guide the fan and cowling should come off.....is this the best way to do it or is it only necessary to only buy the fan motor? And if so does anyone know the (approximate) price difference between just the motor and the whole assembly, if its not a great deal then I reckon I might as well replace the whole thing anyway as something else will surely break next week :lol:

All help appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan

southern radiators are the people to see, i've had two from them and the service etc is excellent, for a hot climate rad for G60 with air con was about £80 and the VR6 rad was about £90. if they don't have what you need they can make it!

their number is 01243 778242 (chitchester based i think)

Hopefully I dont need a radiator, just the fan or fan assembly..... Im presuming VW would be best for this but just dont know which bits to replace.....Anyone.... :(

oh, and the best place to get a rad is from either GSF or Euro... You'll find that you need to buy the plastic top pipe (The right angled bit wot bolts onto the rad and connects to the top hose) and its seal from VW as neither GSF or Euro list 'em...

I'd like to disagree with that as ECP and GSF seem to be selling re-core rads at the moment with somewhat suspect quality.

Spend the extra £20 or so and get the VAG rad that also comes with the top elbow bit.

when i tried to get a VAG rad the price was literally twice what people like southern rad's were charging for a brand new (potentally custom made) item, i'd decided i'd take my chances with the cheaper option and if i had to buy another in a years time it hadn't cost me more than the VAG model. However for most parts i'd only use VAG, but £160+ for a rad was a bit excessive!

As I mentioned already, there is nothing wrong with my radiator. In fact the prevous owner had it replaced just a few years ago. The problem is that the fan has become very noisy, creating a rubbing noise and sounding like its not spinning as fast as it should.

Can I not buy a fan without a radiator? When I looked on the russian site that has the ETKA screenshots it looked like you could buy the motor etc seperately or as the whole fan assy. I wanted to know if it was worth replacing the motor only or if i should replace the whole fan assy (leaving the rad as it is!! :lol: )

Pickard1, what engine is it?

You can buy the bits seperatly but the motor comes with a new fan etc anyways if you see what i mean...

The other option is G-werks sell some nice low profile ones that give a bit more access in the engine bay

changing a rad on a g60 is very easy, just unplug everything and out it comes! lol i did it with no expertise in about 40 mins.

new rad cost me £150 i think it was, but its not a VAG part.

Right, I have borrowed this screenshot to help me along. I've just called the dealers and they want £153.00 plus vat just for the FAN assembly i.e. just item 1 in the diagram. not the radiator. :shock:

Firstly, is this price right? it sounds crazy for a little leccy motor and some plastic blades. Even the guy at the dealers appologised for the price :lol:

Secondly, If i were to fit the fan, would I be right in saying that the rough method would be:

1)Remove the sheet metal cowling from the back of the rad complete with fan.

2)Swap over the fans

3)Re-fit cowling complete with new fan.

Thanks for any advice. :)

The fan is held in position by a plastic mount which attaches to the metal cowling.

If I remember rightly, that plastic bracket can be unbolted from the cowling (3 bolts), and removed along with the fan while keeping the metal cowling in place.