Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

Engine backfiring

I just replaced my injector seals and O2 sensor, car is still backfiring, I get about 20 mpg when driving normal, 28 on freeway and 17 when punching it. I dont know whats wrong, is my fuel pressure regulator going to affect this, also my power will sometimes cut out for a second or two, and sometimes it cuts out really bad then the engine backfires a whole lot more. car somtimes pings on start up.

Hall sender? Since it's a G60, I'll assume that's got a traditional distributer and the hall sender is inside it (unlike late VR6s with a coilpack and separate hall sender unit, which is much easier to replace).

I just replaced my injector seals and O2 sensor

Have you replaced the lambda?

:roll:[/quote:1f084]

Doh. It was early.. I didn't read it properly... :)

hall sender? what the heck is that, I have worked on this car for 2 years and havent heard of that.
It's like a crankshaft position sensor - it tells the ECU when cylinder number 1 is at TDC. As Supercharged says, it's part of the distributor.

tried that website I got nothing, does GSF sell them and do they ship to the US, I dont want to have to buy a whole new distributor like ETKA and the local stealer are saying. anyone got one they want to sell me or a distributor they want to sell me?

potatonet, You'll need a whole new distributor - the sensors aren't available seperately. We keep Bosch ones in stock but I'm not sure about shipping to the states. Nor am I sure that the US spec G60's use the same distributor as the UK spec ones ?

Can I just snatch one off of a GTI 16V, Passat 16V, or a Jetta at the local scrap yard? what's up with the new system of adressing me by my name, kinda feel like I'm being yelled at.

It's just to get the attention of the person the post is directed at. I believe it's a fairly standard forum style.

If you drive a G60, as I believe you do, then won't the distributor be the same as an 8V GTi, i.e driven from an intermediate shaft rather than the cam as on the 16v?....or am I talking crap?!

yup, dizzy is the same as any 1.8 GTI 8V (Rabbit or Golf or Jetta 1 or 2)

potatonet, the reason that you're being addressed by name in bold is probably 'cos we're lazy and it's quicker to click on your name in your previous post than to type it... ;) :lol: (at least that's why I do it! 8) )