Sign in to follow this  
tonytiger

My new VDO Gauges

Ordered a set of RHD gauges from VAGParts last week, not really expecting anything to come of it - but they actually arrived today! :D

Just the week before I'd tried my local dealer but he was adamant that they were discontinued about a year ago and wasn't interested in trying to order me one. And perhaps they were unavailable a year ago - as looking at the numbers stamped on the panel, some of them appear to be manufacturing dates (I think) and one of the them shows the year as 04 and the month as either 03 or 09 (as shown in pic below).

Won't be fitting this just yet, as I need to sort a new sender out - probably go for a 2-in-1. Can anyone confirm the thread size I need?

so which bit is it that they list in the manual and on ETKA that goes in the same place? Does that one include the guages or is it just a plate to stick em in?

It's just a bit of plastic, used to be £7 but not obselete...

I have a set of LHD late gauges I'll be attempting to bodge into the G60 dash at some point...

are these New dash only then?? Damn! i`ve sent e-mail etc.....

whats the difference between the old and new cubby hole and how difficult would it be to modify to fit?

any one got a pic of the two spaces side by side to compare?

:=(

VW produced a "Gauge Panel" for 1.8 16v and G60.

They were available until around 18 months ago now obselete.

I have one if anyone is interested in making a mold from it to run off some more?

Wahay- Just got confirmation from an Irish Dealer that my gauges have turned up!! Am well chuffed. This was the guy mentioned in the last post about these VDO gauges maybe two weeks ago- I think someone else has placed an order with him and they have turned up as well- so its official that these gauges are still readily available from outside the UK!!

I have a part list that someone PM'd me with about a year ago for all the senders etc that I would need- Am i right in thinking VW still sell everything that is needed to get these things working in the car?

Mike

Does anyone know how to wire these up then- I though some cars had the connectors already tucked into the wiring loom, but assuming mine won't have- what go where? I think there are only four connections so I am hoping it can't be that hard!!

Cheers

Mike

You need an Earth, Ignition live, dashboard lights live and a wire feeding through to the engine bay to connect to the oil pressure sender.

Right I've tried wiring mine up.

What a mess! I've managed to break the dashboard lights!

When I started everything was fine.

Now none of the dash lights up!

Haven't stripped any cables, just prodded a signal tester into the connectors for the ashtray and lighter.

Fuse 21 is ok and the main interior light works fine.

What have I broken!??

Ice White Socks, no idea mate, never seen one in the flesh! :?

What does the writing below the connector say? The contacts are normally marked so you know what they're for... ;)

If we look at a picture of the back..

The labels below the connector say

G. Druck (pressure)

KL15+12v (dunno, ignition live?)

KL. 31 (????)

KL.58+ Bel. (????)

I'd guess at:

Druck = pressure sender feed

15 = ignition live

31 = earth

58 = lighting

(got a crap monitor at work and can't make the writing out... :oops: )

I've ordered one but they're out of stock.. got it on back order for me....

Does anyone know if the wiring is already present, or whether I need to get the wiring loom from somewhere?

EDIT: Just read the second page of this thread.... bummer.. sounds like I need to buy terminal socket and wire it up myself...

Mike.. let me know when you've figured out whats what!!

All you really need is a Dual Pole sender. (recommended especially for the VR instead of a T-Piece and extra sender)

They're £47 delivered from here http://www.streetstyleandpower.com/publ ... adPage/206

VDO Part No. V360023

SS&P are out of stock of this sender at the moment (I wonder why) so I've been trying to find somewhere else to source one from. Found some information on the VDO (or Siemens) website about their sensors. V360023 isn't listed in that document (all the part numbers quoted are much longer), but I did find 360-081-030-009 C/K listed as "Pressure Sender with warning contact - common ground" with a 10bar measuring range and 0.5bar warning trigger point, thread M10x1. This sounds like the same part but with a different number to me.

Looking further down in the documentation there is a list of OEM part numbers against VDO part numbers and there is an entry in the VAG section for this sender with VAG part number T11 919 081. Does that mean if I order this part number from VAG I'll get that VDO item, or is it just a substitute.

ETKA shows this to be an Oil Pressure Sender for an L80, but doesn't give any other information - so I don't even know if the original VAG part has the warning contact. The dealers I spoke to couldn't help either.

Anybody any ideas?

Or is there somewhere else I can obtain this VDO sender from?