Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigneil

Is it the clutch?

I don't get any creaking or clicking noises that I've noticed, it's just this metallic 'woooot' noise (

Oh that woot, why didn't you just say, LOL! :D

I've heard a G60 do that too, and yep I'd say that's probably release bearing related. Is the clutch the original one?

For what its worth I think this noise is most likely caused by worn friction plate, mine was pretty thin (nearly lost all the cross grooving) when it came out with 123,525 miles on it. Mine tended to make the noise more often when pulling away up-slope, less frequent on the flat so I reckon that's indicative of more load on the plate. Operating the clutch pedal with engine off, or on and taking up drive, is completely silent now. By the way, I would also have thought that the ABS would have finished its self checks by the time you'd engaged gear, mirrored, signalled and safely manoeuvred LOL

Incidentally, I didn't change the clutch because of the 'wooot' noise (Note to Mods, is this going in the tech terms glossary by the way?) but because of the awful racket caused by a fracturing and bent release arm catching on the pressure plate cover - you could hear me comin a mile off.

Its a joy to own :)

By the way, I would also have thought that the ABS would have finished its self checks by the time you'd engaged gear, mirrored, signalled and safely manoeuvred LOL

Trouble is, I think there is half a dozen noises being talked about here :D But woot is the best one!

The ABS thing, OK, after you've started the car it does an electrical test to check the sensors (orange light flashes) and a short while later, after you've pressed the brakes a couple or times or something you'll get a little graunch through the pedals. That's the ABS doing it's mechanical test, or so I've been told at least.

It does this at precisely the same place every morning when I leave for work!

That's very interesting as I'm usually very well attuned to 'noises and happenings' when I drive, but can't say I've noticed this; and yes my ABS is in full working order. About how far down the road are you when this happens Kev? Armed with that I'm inclined to go out for a play.

Sorry I did say it was a hard to describe noise, 'wooot' is the best I could come up with :lol:

I'm thinking it's the friction plates as well.....it happens right on bite, and the way I can prolong it seems to indicate it's them. It's not annoying enough to change the clutch and that sounds like it's probably the only fix :roll:

Chris, it's literally as I go from 1st to second every morning, about 100 yards from my drive and again 100 yards from my work car park space.

It's a tiny little blip through the pedal, lasts about half a second.

My clutch has been changed more times than i care to remember and I asked Vince about it and he said it's the pump doing a test. Seemed plausible but I dunno mate, it's always done that with no ill effects.

All ABS Corrado's I've driven do it but some louder and more noticable than others - the test is mentioned in the instruction manual...

Yep, agree with you on what it says in the handbook Steve, but guess I'm just lucky to have a particularly quiet pump - ie don't hear or feel it, unless actually using it in anger.

Anymore verdicts of this post?

Took my car to a place in Guildford last week and they said

"oh thats just a typical VW noise"

well they don't do it when they are new!

So what is it?

I still don't know - so far I have had

"could be the clutch...."

"could be the release bearings..."

"could be the brakes..." DICK!

"could be the slave cylinder...."

"could be a mouse....." oh dear, this has been said 4 times now

sorry I'm angry today

My VR's made this noise since i had it, this is the woooot noise when pulling away in first. defo clutch related. Separate to ABS test. On mine ABS test which you can feel through brake pedal is quite soon after turning ignition. I think this clutch noise is something thats crops up on more than a few corrado's. (after browsing loads of other sites in pure frustration) and only really a problem if you let it be. Incidentally whilst looking through my cars history folder i found a reciept from VW (at 20,000 miles) to inspect clutch noise whilst pulling away. Report found Clutch fine everything okay. Well obviously everythings not "A" okay but that was 90000 miles ago it still makes a noise every so often but its not slipping (not been changed yet) and gear shift is still very smooth. Will find out eventually when clutch gets replaced but untill then gotta learn not to worry.

Edd

Just seeing if anyone else has similar problems - mine does exactly the same as Edd's post above.

Only first gear from stand still and once or twice a month when shifting down gear's when driving fast and not using the accelerator pedal to compensate.

Still no slippage, very smooth gear change etc

I have had my Storm for a month now and this is the same kind of noise that i am getting. Only happens in 1st gear when moving off. Seems to more noticable when coming away from an uphill junction.

Cant seem to pin it down, no apparent slippage.

Has nobody got to the bottom of this in the past?

Just an update - having received the vr back after a full rebuild inc new clutch at stealth my clutch groan when moving off from standstill has now gone :D :D

I also have a groaning clutch. When I pull away and let the clutch out slowly she groans for a second or so sometimes. If I nail it from standing it doesn't do it.

Also I have problems getting her into reverse sometimes. Have to put her in first or second then go back to reverse and it's OK?

I am going to get the cables checked and adjusted if necessary but my clutch has covered maybe 90000km's. It's also Sachs kit, but not main dealer!?

Dutch

Im afraid i was too busy talking about engine forgot to ask Vince wha he thought the clucth noise originated from. Couldn't tell you exactly what was changed but i had the full engine rebuild inc clutch package as mine was Fecked. Job cost me as much as the car!!! Super silky smooooooth tho!!

Will be up at Stealth this Sat so will ask Vince about the clucth then.

Edd

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of the woot noise or are we still thinking it's the clutch. Mine's done it for 10,000 miles. Not getting any worse and no slippage.

Cheers,

Briggy

I've heard countless Corrados do that, but mostly VR6s. It's more of a creak than a squeak. Get someone to press the pedal with you standing over the engine and you'll notice it's coming from inside the bell housing.

Vince and I looked into this when my box was off and we reckon it's either the pressure plate fingers creaking or the ceramic actuator arm ball.

Nothing to worry about....just an irritation.

Yes, that is true!

My G60 does the same noise, but only when you have drived for some time. It does not happen when you get in the car in the morning for example.

I examed the clutch and everything seems to be ok!

No problems at all.

So don´t bother with that mate! :)

Keep having fun! :)

Yeah it's a weird one for sure, although updating that slightly, ever since I've had a new VAG clutch and rebuilt gearbox, the creaking has completely gone! As has the "bolts in a biscuit tin" rattling noise with the pedal up when hot......