Sign in to follow this  
Neil L.

Strange fan control ....

I'm experiencing strange fan control goings on' - the fan speed control was fixed by previous owner who replaced the fan thermal fuse before i bought the car - all was fine for first week or so! Then the speed control (fan) only worked on speed 4 on the dial - so i thought the fuse has blown again! I went on like this for a month or so knowing i would sort it out one day- just using speed 4 on dial for timebeing! Then tonight the ruddy fan starts working on all 4 speeds again! :roll: - cant have been the fuse! This was followed by again failing on 1-3 for a short time then regaining the full 4 speeds before i parked up tonight :? Could this just be the actual dial itself not making proper contact or is there something else???

could be a number of things, could be the switch, could be the resistor pack playing up, could be a short, get it sorted if its a short it could cause a fire.

This happened to one of my Mk 2 Golfs and it was just the switch not making contact like you said

if its a short it could cause a fire.

I had a fire out of a Headlight switch in another Mk 2 aswell ! Wires all melted together, wasn't cheap to fix !!

Just a thought, it may be a simple as this:

If these are the late, rotary type controls, the knobs may be on the incorrect controls. The fan speed dial has a knotch cut in it, so if you put the heat or direction knob (which don't have knotches) back on the fan speed control, they can push the metal contacts too far apart so when you turn the control there's no contact and the switch doesn't engage!

But sometimes it works - then it does'nt? The fans are working more regularly now! They will run for a while then just cut out! Wait a few minutes then they operate again on speeds 1-3. Speed 4 always works by the way! Resistor pack or dodgy wires or motor?

I assume you have the rotary controls.

If you pull off the speed control knob, you'll find a copper contact behind it.

Like all exposed copper this will tarnish with age.

Resulting in a dodgy connection and the symptoms you describe.

Give it a clean and your problem should be solved.