Sign in to follow this  
tug

Piston rings

Hi there,

I'm looking to rebuild my engine fairly soon and I'm currently sourcing parts. Where's the best/cheapest :) place to get piston rings for a 2.9 VR6? I'm buying most of the parts from a company in America, but obviously they never had the 2.9 in the States so they don't keep the rings in stock.

Is this a no-brainer, i.e. GSF or ECP?

Cheers in advance!

Depends how far you want to take the rebuild. If you want to rebore the block you'll need 82.5mm pistons and rings, which Stealth can supply (Mahle). VW, GSF, ECP etc can only supply standard 82mm pistons.

You might also need to start over with a 2.8 block, depending on how bad the bores in your 2.9 have ovalised (espeically cylinders 1 and 6).

Best person to speak to is RPMayne as he's rebuild his recently.

Oemparts.co.uk had full sets of VR6 pistons for £380 which made me sick because i paid over £500 for my 16v ones, don't know about the rings though.

Depends how far you want to take the rebuild.

I'm planning to replace most (if not all) of the bearings, deglaze the bores, fit new piston rings, chuck new timing chains and tensioners in and recondition the cylinder head.

You might also need to start over with a 2.8 block, depending on how bad the bores in your 2.9 have ovalised (espeically cylinders 1 and 6).

Are the bores pretty much guaranteed to have ovalised then? If I need to rebore the block I'll need to start budgeting for it! :)

Best person to speak to is RPMayne as he's rebuild his recently.

Cheers, I'll drop him a PM...