Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

how to replace water pump

being that we all know that the bentley is very sketch on replacing the g60 water pump I was wondering if anyone had a good description of how to replace the water pump in my G60. just kinda wondering because its this weekends project. thanks.

You need to take the alternator and charger off and the charger bracket, then its just the same as an 8v GTi

Make sure you buy the whole pump not just the impeller and a new thermostat and plastic housing with O rings and some G12+ of course...

Supercharged, I took the motor out before I had the chance to do an oil change, I have only put about 30km's since buying it, so... you can't blame me for the filter. lol

Banana Man, I don't understand what you mean by "air con" sorry.

oh, I see, I am a bit tired. I am actually doing an A/C delete. It does get quite warm in the summer here, I think the high last year was up around 38 Deg. But I'll just pop the sunroof if I get too uncomfortable.

supercharged who makes a proper oil filter, I have a WIX one right now the stealer told me to get one being that they cant order them.

I just use the VAG Dealer ones with the hex on the bottom, it's the only one that I know is correct for that engine, don't use a standard Golf one...

You need to take the alternator and charger off and the charger bracket, then its just the same as an 8v GTi

Make sure you buy the whole pump not just the impeller and a new thermostat and plastic housing with O rings and some G12+ of course...

Is this the same for 1.8 16v? Is it an easy job to do? Plus, forgive for being stupid but what is G12+?

Ok now I'm going to be really stupid :wink: I've looked in golf haynes manual, it doesn't mention water pump, is coolant pump the same thing?

Yep, the coolant pump is the water pump (bloody haynes!)

Black Cat - not sure what the 16V water pump is like, probably the same or very similar, at least you havn't got a fecking great supercharger to get out the way first in order to get to it!

G12+ is VW's own coolant additive (it has replaced the G11 and G12 that our cars had when they were built)

It's about a fiver for a 1.5 litre bottle, you'll need 2 of these as you want a 30-40% mix (with distilled water) -

4 cylinder cars have a cooling system capacity of about 5-6 litres, The VR6 has nearly 10 litres.

Ta very much, Supercharged, I'll follow the instructions in golf haynes, I assume the 16v golf is the same.

Do I have to get the G12+ stuff from VW or can I get it from GSF?