Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Noisy pulleys..

I know i've made countless posts like this before.. but need to get this sorted really as someone who sounds quite keen is driving up from Wales to view my car with a view to buying it on Friday!!

Since I had all my belts changed @ Stealth a few weeks back i've had pretty much continual squeaking from around the pulley area. Used to get it when damp (and had the talcum powder on the belts to shut it up advice) - but now i've got it all the time and when Tempest had a listen on Sunday he thought it sounded more like bearings.

This sounds more plausible as unlike when I used to get squeaks when there was a lot of moisture in the air (which shut up eventually as the car warmed up) these noises are still there even after a good 40-50 minute drive.

I'm a little cheesed at the timing of this obviously as silly things like odd noises from the engine bay deter buyers! Advice anyone? Should I call back Stealth and see if they can take a look before Friday?!

Thanks.

try giving the bearing area a good squirt with a teflon based lube like gt 85 when it running might quiten it donn a bit if you spray it for ages it will work its way in.

Its not the water pump mate.. its definately from the pulley areas. Water pump appears to have been replaced once already in this cars life anyway! :)

I last went back to Stealth with it about 4 days after having the work done and Vince sprayed a tiny bit of belt dressing stuff on the back of one of the belts and it shut it up for a little time. He said it'd take a week or so for the belts to run in because the pulleys are not all like dead straight etc.. but.. its been over 2 and a half weeks now :(

What I been missing Jim - you looking at selling?

What happening man?

FFS.

So someone is supposed to come and see the car on Friday, and not only is the water pump a possibility, I now have the ABS light on as well.

I don't mind saying this, but f'ing Corrados.. why the hell do we bother.

I don't understand why this has only started since having all the belts changed though! It wasn't doing it before... :|

Maybe to much tension was used at some point on the pulleys, if the water pump was slightly weak that would of been enough to finish it off.It might not even be the water pump you cant condem it really with out doing your own tests and i deftinatly wouldn't reccomend pulling parts of before getting somone to take a god look at it first. By the way what make of serpintine belt was fitted before this noise started ?

Maybe to much tension was used at some point on the pulleys, if the water pump was slightly weak that would of been enough to finish it off.It might not even be the water pump you cant condem it really with out doing your own tests and i deftinatly wouldn't reccomend pulling parts of before getting somone to take a god look at it first. By the way what make of serpintine belt was fitted before this noise started ?

I'm not sure which type of belt was used Darren, but I just had the work all done at Stealth Racing so I hope they'd only use good stuff. I need to call them and go back and see them really as I just want it sorting.

I wish you lived a bit more local Darren.. but its a hell of a drive down just to get my car checked over - and would have to get the charger redone even if I did otherwise it'd be a wasted journey :(

Blue_Joe - just a bit bored with the Corrado thing again. I just think I want something sensible again for a while.. fuel costs, maintainance, etc are just starting to bug me again!

Maybe to much tension was used at some point on the pulleys,

That's been my initial reaction from the start of Jims problems.

I don't mind saying this, but f'ing Corrados..

Clearly a sign she doesn't want you to sell her ;-)

ABS light still on? Possibly just a dirty sensor, may be able to get a jet washer onto your wheels (I recently took mine to a jetwash etc place after it was full of salt, muck and dirt).

Tempest

ABS light back off again this evening and all working again! A tad confusing :(

As you say Eric, I think it must be a sign that she doesn't want to go!

If the worst comes to the worst Jim, just knock a bit off the asking price for a water pump - that's if he even raises the issue - but just don't tell him the charger needs to come off (IIRC) in order to replace it!

If the worst comes to the worst Jim, just knock a bit off the asking price for a water pump - that's if he even raises the issue - but just don't tell him the charger needs to come off (IIRC) in order to replace it!

i hope the perspective buyer isnt a member on here... :wink:

Kev, the charger needs a rebuilt anyway so you may as well get Darren to do it when the charger is off, not much extra labour then and about £25 for new pump and stat - just don't ask for Samco hoses!!!

Jim, I know its extra cash now but it may be wise to get the charger done before selling - you might even change your ming after Darren's had a play with it, your car would be perfect for a toothed belt conversion also!

I just don't have the cash Steve - truthfully its one of the reasons why I need rid of the Corrado :(

But I am starting to think a charger rebuild wouldn't be a bad idea around now.. possibly time to start scrimping and saving :(

As for it being the water pump.. well.. I couldn't stand the noise any more. So this evening when I got home did the cardinal sin of just testing by squirting a VERY small amount of WD40 on the back of the culprit belt (I know its not a good thing to do as this can make the belt slip, etc but enough is enough - three weeks of this damn noise), and lo and behold the noise stopped instantly. So glad to say its not the waterpump but the belt just being bloody noisy.

Must look into a charger rebuild. I've been putting it off, and putting it off for so long..

why do we deal with them..... WE LOOOOOOOOOVVVVEEEE THESE CARS!!!!!! handle like new cars and are sexy beasts with plenty of character.

i found with mine that non vag belts are noisey...possibly worth trying a proper vag belt

I'll second Steves comment. VAG belts have some crosshatching on the back which I think prevents the squeaking. I definately wouldn't fit a smooth belt after having a squadron of budgies under the bonnet of my Golf for 2 years.....

Gavin

Yep, the proper Polly V belts last longer as well...

Jim has a 68mm pulley tho so probably needs a shorter belt unless Jabba modded the tensioner, If its a Gates one it should be made the same as they make the VAG ones...

Oh Jim, nice one, at least you eliminated the water pump altho I'd change it anyway if/when the charger is rebuilt...

It will probably start squeeking again tho - if it does get yourself some belt dressing spray (silicon based)

i run the standard size belt, original tensioner and have no slippage issues that i know off....hits 15-16psi so it aint slipping alot

Its back again and driving me crazy. I went up Halfords to find some silicon based belt dresssing and could I find any!? What exactly am I looking for.. will the staff know it if I ask for it?

Maybe I should buy the genuine belt off VW and get Stealth to fit it.. though I don't want them to think i'm not satisfied with their work or anything like that by turning up and asking them to remove the one they fitted. Is it a big / long job to get that belt replaced..? And does anyone happen to have a diagram of just exactly how many belts there are on the PG block so I can work out whats going where?! The squeaking seems to be loudest either just underneath the alternator pulley or the one on the side of the g-lader - again I wasn't too keen to put WD40 on the charger pulley as I didnt want to encourage belt slipping, so can't be sure thats the culprit...